1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Future classics

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by avvie, Oct 3, 2013.

1. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    I heard Jane's Addiction's "Been Caught Stealing" on the radio and it occurred to me that it'll be a quarter century old in two years and still be in rotation. What songs from the past 5 years do you think will be in rotation in 2035?

2. Call Me Maybe.

3. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Blurred lines. ;)

4. Calvin Harris, David Guetta, Mylie Cyrus....... puke.

Tedeshi Trucks, Tame Impala, The Takers, The Gaslight Anthem..... sex.

5. none. None of it is worth remembering next year, let alone in 20...

6. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Bad news guys...zeppelin was low charting dog crap in its time too. So was JA for that matter. And stop classifying pop and rock together. Lets try some serious answers instead of playing "you kids get of my lawn!"

I have a couple of ideas...will post later as I'm wondering if anyone else thi ks the same.

7. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Boyfriend.

8. wolffire99

wolffire99 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    St. Louis
    For rock? Radiohead, NIN, Foo Fighters, Wilco, the Black Keys, Queens of the Stone Age, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Kings of Leon, System of a Down, White Stripes, Beck, Flaming Lips...just to name a few

9. I kinda like Silversun Pickups.

Rock, in general, has kind of fallen out of favor though... At least as far as top 40 radio is concerned.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

The latter are bands that cannot even find success today let alone be played on a classics station in the future. The 2010's collection discs that Time Warner (and probably Justin Beiber) hock are going to suck with a lot of super processed music full of power chords played by machines with no substitutions or turn arounds. There will also be a handful of great tracks on there, probably some Bruno Mars that will somewhat offset the LMFAO tracks.

11. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    This isn't going well.
    Most of those bands listed two posts up are already old, and I specifically said "songs".
    The Black Keys - "Gold On The Ceiling". The retro vibe keeps it from dating itself and the bridge's rhythmic hook will keep it accessible.

Alex Clare- "Too Close". The dubstep feel will be nostalgic in the future to current high school students and the lyric will remain relatable to most people.

Gotye- "Somebody I Used To Know"- again a most relatable lyric with a timeless, quirky hook.

12. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    I separate these from the pop charts hecause the target demo for pop is young teens and the lyric is usually either straight up love song or some form of "lets have sex" euphamism.... Sean Cassidy and The Captain And Tonille outcharted most of what is now "classic rock".
    Breaking that mold is Bruno Mars who writes such perfect pop that he will remain in the Top 40 rotation for another 30 years. Must be nice. I think he's the modern Micheal Jackson.

13. wolffire99

Feb 19, 2013
    St. Louis
    My bad

Radiohead - Creep
    NIN - Closer, Hurt
    Foo Fighters - Hero, Monkey Wrench
    Wilco - Jesus, etc
    the Black Keys - I got mine, Howlin' for you
    Queens of the Stone Age - no one knows, like clockwork
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - scar tissue, under the bridge
    Kings of Leon - sex on fire
    System of a Down - toxicity
    White Stripes - seven nation army
    Beck - Loser
    Flaming Lips - do you realize

14. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

A large portion of those songs is over a decade old, some are over the 5 year standard. Wilco probably won't be remembered as they aren't really a mainstream success. RHCP hasn't put out a good record since 2001, and even that is a stretch as that was the beginning of them becoming a generic rock band.

Beck and Flaming Lips are college rock, not mainstream success. I do not see post 2000's Beck still being played, maybe the odd song. I definitely do not see the Flaming Lips getting radio play in 30 years as they barely get it now as well.

Somebody mentioned Led Zeppelin not having hits, they didn't need to, plus they never released singles. Back in the early days of FM DJ's would just put on one side of a record and go do something else, Led Zeppelin has tons of radio exposure.

Like I said earlier Bruno Mars will be in rotation, LMFAO will have at least one song, somebody else mention Call Me Maybe, that will definitely be there. Probably some Beyoncee and some Katy Perry. It is hard to say what songs, but obviously all the mentioned artists biggest hits will be played on the classics station, as they are just that, classic (#1's).

15. wolffire99

Feb 19, 2013
    St. Louis
    Gotta disagree on this one. Top 40 pop music like this is very dated and almost never transcends time. It will stay in the rotation at date specific stations like the 70's and 80's stations we have now but not in the mainstream. Good rock however can and does all the time.

16. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Two that I can't decide on are MGMT's "Kids" and Death Cab For Cutie's "I Will Possess Your Heart". I think they both have elements to become nostalgic standards in the future and neither one were particularly overwhelming in the rock charts.

17. LeopoldBoom

LeopoldBoom

Aug 27, 2012
    Ireland
    I second the Bruno Mars suggestion, especially the music he's putting out right now from his most recent album. Really impressive stuff!

18. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I think the only worthy mension is Bruno Mars ... otherwise it is all just junk food for your ears ... you consume it and then you throw it in the trash can when a new hot thing of the week come up

19. wolffire99

Feb 19, 2013
    St. Louis
    Bruno Mars can write a hook like nobodies business but I don't see how his music advances the art lyrically or musically.

20. LeopoldBoom

LeopoldBoom

Aug 27, 2012
    Ireland
    That's very subjective. Beauty is in the eye of the blah blah blah.
    Besides, it's not necessarily the stuff that pushes the envelope that winds up on the radio 40 years down the road sad and all as that may be.