1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Future Impact!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chopthebass427, Oct 25, 2018.

1. chopthebass427

chopthebass427

Aug 30, 2017
    I was trying to decide whether to go with the FI or Boss SY-300. My main goal was to be able to create close 80's synth bass sounds. I decided on the FI pedal.
    After messing around for an hour I don't think it is for me. I knew all along it is monophonic and you need to play super clean etc. But it really can't cope with some bass lines. Not sure if Panda will refund me. I am in discussion.
    I need to put it down to experience and sell for what I can get. Shame.

Driven Crane likes this.
  2. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Before you give up, try adjusting the volume you feed it from your bass or upstream pedals. This isn't specific to the Future Impact, but synth pedals—like most pedals with threshold and/or trigger levels—work best when the input signal's amplitude is with a particular range.

They can also be particular about the input signal's dynamic range and pitch hygiene (tons o' chorus or blended pitch shift, for example).

3. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    May I suggest, that while the FI may ultimately not be what you are looking for, that perhaps one hour is insufficient time to make a properly informed decision.

I’ve spent about 6-7 hours with mine, and I feel like with just another 20 or so, I will be it’s master

Garret Graves and cosmicevan like this.
  4. chopthebass427

chopthebass427

Aug 30, 2017
    I have the level set so the red light comes on. I could spend more time editing the sounds, but I was expecting there to be some close factory sounds. I don't know about oscillators and waveforms, so not sure I will understand what to edit. Maybe I should try some patches shared here.

5. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    There are a lot of great user patches out there in the shared folder. If polyphony is the most important thing to then the SY-300 may be an option and it does some amazing things, but the FI is a much better "bass synth."

6. chopthebass427

chopthebass427

Aug 30, 2017
    Thanks. I've heard that the SY-300 can also do great synth bass sounds. If so, then polyphony and zero latency will decide for me.

7. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I think it can, I much prefer the stock sounds in the FI (especially the first 9 Deep Impact emulation patches), so you will have to do some editing or at least patch uploading whichever way you go.

8. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    I had both and use neither now but FI was a much better tool than the Sys.

bassvirtuoso likes this.
  9. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    Came to echo this - you can get great "ambient" synth sounds out of the SY-300, but the Future Impact is actually way more fulfilling to use live. I kept my FI, sold the SY-300. If you're in a band and covering 80's synth tunes, you want the FI - go get a MIDI to USB cable and check out all of our great user made patches, it'll change your thoughts on the FI. If you're at home creating your own synth stuff, then buy the SY-300 as it's a better tool for composition than covering existing tunes in a band setting.

10. chopthebass427

chopthebass427

Aug 30, 2017
    I have heard that a lot of the factory SY300 sounds aren't useable, and are spacey effects just there to demonstrate the pedals sounds. And that you need to programme your own patches. I will try it.
    With the FI I am sure it could be programmed to make convincing sounds that I am looking for. Its just the monophonic playability that isn't working for me.
    However Panda told me that in January there is a free update. Here is there message:

You can try our next tracking-triggering algorhythm we will introduce in January as a free update The problem was that we had to maintain compatibility with our legendary Deep Impact pedal which was a mega hit in the 90s. Its triggering was a very up-to-date then but since then our guitar tracking has improved seriously, we designed a bunch of guitarsynth products for different companies like Fishman (TriplePlay), always winning the tracking championship as the most accurate and fastest conversion on the globe.

Now, in January we will release a triggering code which is even more advanced than the algorhythm found on TriplePlay - it will be the most up-to-date conversion of our time with noticeably better results and it will dominate the 2019 guitarsynth market (will be compatible with any guitar with any strings) we believe.

cosmicevan and Driven Crane like this.
  11. AngelCrusher

AngelCrusher Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2004
    Mesa Boogie, Tech 21, Taylor
    Yes. Yes you should.

Also, this is a SYNTH pedal. Meaning, these things are not plug and play. Synths don’t turn on and magically make the exact sound you hear in your head, you have to either find those sounds in custom presets or make your own. In other words, like an actual synth, this pedal requires a little more investment of time. That being said, I already have been able to use it on an entire record.

As for 80’s sounds, those are incredibly easy to design and the user patches here already have them.

If you don’t know about oscillators or waveforms, I would strongly suggest you learn the basics. You can google tutorials on how to make an 80’s analogue bass sound and copy that process on the FI. I don’t care if you buy a real synth or use a synth pedal - a required skill set of synthesis is being able to at least program and understand the basics of how it works so you can craft your own sounds. It’s as fundamanetal as knowing all the notes on your bass, but the good news is that it will not take as long to learn.

That info on the updated tracking is very, very interesting. Looking forward to it.

12. Adamixoye

Apr 9, 2012
    I don't know what's better, the effusive over-the-top language that Panda uses to describe their products, or the fact that they more or less deliver on it.

AngelCrusher likes this.
  13. chopthebass427

chopthebass427

Aug 30, 2017
    Thanks AngelCrusher. I checked out the sharing thread and there are lots of patches! Do you know which ones in particular I should check out? Maybe I ought to connect to my Mac and play around more. I do just worry about the monophonic side of things. Yes I could wait until January and use the improved tracking. But I still feel I am taking a chance on something that may still not do what I want.
    Does anyone have any recordings of 80's analogue bass synth sounds?

14. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    So the first thing is that a ton of 80’s synth sounds come from monophonic synths.

Polyphony is nice, but seriously overrated for bass players. If Pino and Darryl Jones didn’t need polyphony on their OC2s, do you? Ok - Partial joke, but honestly - some of the GOAT bass sounds of all time come from mono synths, so don’t focus too much on polyphony - you won’t find what you want in any pedal. This is analysis paralysis - you want 80’s bass sounds right? This is it - or buy a bass synth and be keyboard guy on stage.

If you have a Mac -download some DAW software like a demo version of Logic and some free Virtual synths. I mean, you need to use what you have and not throw your hands up in the air so fast. You can easily A/b sounds that way. I bet Logic comes with some amazing synths that you can use.

But you need to work at it. You are asking me which patches in particular to check out. Sure, I can tell you what works for me, but you are still being lazy as hell here. Spend some time to to scroll through the user library’s like I did and find what you like. Learn how to make sounds. This is what keyboard players do!

Not to be rude, but getting these sounds right requires work. Plus, you are worried about polyphony but you don’t really even understand synthesis yet. My point - you are putting the cart before the horse and wasting time worrying when you should be working.

Hopefully no offense there, but there is no kind way to put it - nothing great is easy. But there are plenty of cats who tried this pedal, ran through the stock sounds and didn’t have the skill set to go past that, so they said “this sucks” and moved on. As a result, the rare time I ever see another dude gigging this pedal live, I have great respect because I know they put the work in and have the technical knowledge on how to really play clean. And the best part is the reaction of the people around you. Makes it all worth it. Or you can just play a keyboard - up to you.

nbsipics, Ba55Man1ac and Adamixoye like this.
  15. chopthebass427

chopthebass427

Aug 30, 2017
    No offence taken!
    In that case this pedal really isn't for me. To be honest I am not interested in learning a load of synth technical stuff and I can understand why you feel I am lazy as hell. I was hoping there would be stock sounds that would do the job. Not everyone has the ability to grasp technical stuff like this, and to be honest I would find it a struggle.
    Anyway, no bad feeling and I appreciate your input.

AngelCrusher likes this.
  16. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    It’s fine. The only way to really get good at synthesis is to do it unfortunately. There are keyboards you can buy with some built in presets that will work for you. Novation Bass Station should do it, but at the end of the day you seem like you have certain sounds you want in your head, and the path to go down is to learn basic synthesis. And by basic, I am talking this:

80s Bass With Reveal Sound Spire - Attack Magazine

Before you give up the FI totally - go to the user presets thread and download it to your desktop, then fire up the editor and scroll through them. I would strongly suggest at least doing that before boxing it back up. You should at least get to see what it can do.

17. chopthebass427

chopthebass427

Aug 30, 2017
    I did buy a midi cable so I could try that. I will download the editing software and figure out how to listen to the patches. Is there a user guide for the editing tool? The instructions that come with the FI are incredibly brief.

18. AngelCrusher

Sep 12, 2004
    Yes, go to the Panda Website. There is a super detailed PDF you can grab and it tells you step by step how to do it. That part is not too bad, just make sure you follow the instructions.

The biggest hurdle for synthesis IMO, is MIDI compatibility. Just make sure you do exactly what the manual says and you should be fine. MIDI cables can be a bit moody so it’s important to follow the process. Once you do it once though, it’s quite simple. Loading and trying patches - very easy.

Also, I was looking at your Avatar - that appears to be an active bass, is that what you are using? I have best success using my active bass in passive mode with pedals that pitch track. That’s just me. It is not a hard rule, but if you have a passive switch, it is worth trying. The active buffer can sometimes trigger about any note you play, so if you mute too heavy, it can glitch.

Just something to mess with. It boils down to your style of play, really.

19. chopthebass427

chopthebass427

Aug 30, 2017
    thank you. I will check it out.

AngelCrusher likes this.
  20. bassvirtuoso

bassvirtuoso My God, it's full of chrome! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Nebraska
    You don't even need to learn synth technical stuff - just play with all of the user made patches, those guys already did the hard work!

76jazzbass and NicJimBass like this.