1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Future of Metal?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ShredderMaximus, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Yeah, its another Metal thread, deal with it.

But I was just talking to a buddy of mine about the legacy and future of Metal, and come to a point where we both had found Metal has hit a bit of a dead end. To clarify, Metal is a genre that has always strived on revolution and change and the mainstreams effect on that flow. I.E. First there was Black Sabbath. When they started to get a little recognition by the mainstream, newer, more aggressive bands took their role as Kings of the Hill, aka, the NWOBHM. Then, when bands like Maiden and Priest started getting some recognition, a surge of newer, more aggressive bands replaced them as the new cutting edge, i.e., thrash. When Metallica started becoming a big, up and coming stadium band, they were replaced by again, newer, more aggressive bands, i.e., Death and Black Metal, which took it well beyond extreme.

But now, 20+ years later (which is the equivalent to 90 in metal years), we're still on DM and BM, both of which have been pushed to their absolute limits, both in sheer brutality, virtuosity, and really every other facet. But it now seems like we're stuck, and though I still love many, many modern bands, I can't help but feel that things are growing a bit stale. With bands with entire songs comprised of technically masterful sweeps and taps, to ultra brutal bands with toilet being flushed guttural vocals with guitars playing in tuning ranges typically reserved for bassists, both extremes have been pushed to the limit to ridiculous levels.

And to further add insult to injury, with all these -core bands exploiting and "pop-ifying" the "unpop-ifiable," aka, Death Metal, the culmination of almost 50 years of aggressive evolution in our genre, and getting major mainstream recognition for doing it, where has Metal left to go? The previous formula is pretty much obsolete, with no room for the "newer, more aggressive bands" to come in and spark another desperately needed revolution in the genre as a whole.

So what do you think? I'm sure some will just say the usual "this is the same thing that been being said since Sabbath" but I really think the situation is getting desperate at this point, because even though there are still good bands coming out, nothing really truly "new" is coming out, imo, and things are getting a bit stagnant. There are bands that attempt to take a "proggier" kind of direction, but I don't see that as an evolution, just an off shoot. I do like listening to some of the more contemplative aspects of it, but I'm more of a fan of pure @$$-kicking, boot in your face, horns up banging your head til your brain oozes out your ears kinda metalhead myself, be it Sabbath, Maiden, Slayer, or Cannibal Corpse, something that I don't get from bands like Animals as Leaders or the like.

tl;dr, Wheres Metal as a whole headed? Has the evolution reached the end of the line? I hope not, but from what I've been seeing, it just sorta looks that way.

2. El-Bob

El-Bob

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    I've been feeling the same way for several years. Where is there to go from here?

3. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Sounds like you're just focusing on fast/brutal/aggressive. There's so much more to metal beyond that. Try picking up something outside of those specific parts of metal and spin something else. Symphonic, progressive, gothic and more - it's all out there waiting to be heard, you just have to go look for it.

4. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    You can pretty much say the same of all arts & entertainment media, all music, movies, The longer people push the envelope, over the years, it becomes much harder to do something new- its all been done before.

5. I know I put alot of emphasis on death metal in my op, but I do listen to all types, and stated the bands I did just because they were the easiest and clearest representation of my point. I'm not saying that metal is dead, or that I even dislike modern bands, just that there hasn't been any real major game-changers recently like there have been in the past. There have been some cool new things though, like melodic death metal rise, the more progressive side of technical death, and others, but none of these really started in the past 10 years, just got big and ripped off (though some ripped it off well). But I'm talking about the next big thing, and even if there is a next big thing on the horizon.

6. BTW, I don't necessarily see this as a bad thing, I see it as a challenge, the Throne is up for the taking!

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I guess you and I see things differently. Sure, a lot of genres have been covered so we're not going to really get like a new genre per se. But, there's still some mind blowing good bands out there now. Blind Guardian, Ayreon, Kamelot all are nothing short of amazing. Iced Earth has some pretty epic albums.
    Like I said... it'll be harder of course to be a band to diverge into an entirely new space that hasn't been explored yet. There's only so much that can be done right now. So I don't really expect that to happen. But, there's new ideas out there to be had. I guess to toot my own horn a bit... the metal band I'm in is somewhat unique. I can't think of anyone that's doing anything similar. It's a "metal opera". We perform with a full chorus, and entire acting crew, fire dancers, aerialists and we're building up a string section. We don't really consider ourselves a band - moreso we consider ourselves to be a production group. Of course, it's hard to say that you're a band of 50+ people ;). I'm sure there's other bands out there in other places doing things their own way, combining elements, treading into new areas or at least new thoughts in the old areas.

8. powmetalbassist

powmetalbassist Supporting Member

Try a new formula. your post says pushing the envelope on brutality speed, aggression, etc. people will find something new and different otherwise Rock would have died after the 60's. Metal will continue to grow and expand.

9. Alot of underground metal bands (black, death, -core, etc) have been incorporating electronic elements into their sounds, i.e. synths, keyboards, tables. Since most, if not all, of the music that's popular nowadays is made up of mostly synthesized and processed (and in my opinion down right fake) music, I feel like they've decided to not go for more aggressive but be more hip and pop-y. And actually at one of the concerts I went to a few months ago there was a band that was your typical -core chugga chugga breakdowns mixed with really technical riffs, but the vocalist was rapping and the drummer gave the songs more of a hip-hop feel. It wasn't necessarily my cup of tea but it was definitely interesting

10. well ill agree with the op that metal is a genre of music that strives to do more however i think they could take a leaf out of the punks book and try doing less. or try adding more to the listening experece by writing more varied songs. glasgow has a big metal scene and ive been dragged along to alot of these gigs and its verry hard to tell the songs/bands appart. i find its usually devided into 2 catagorys in the glasgow metal scene.
    the "lets be thrash metal like metallica" or the "screamo with little melodic breaks"

ill admit however there was one show i got dragged to and there was a black metal band playing. that was fun.

11. I didn't really mean to solely single out speed and aggression as the only deciding factors, but I think its just especially hard now for a band to really differentiate themselves from the crowd. At this point most things can be likened to something else another band did or is doing and the days of the major, wall shattering, genre busting revolutionary bands may be over. But also its a fact that there are more metal fans and bands out now then there ever has. I'd like to see an all new subgenre, completely separate of black, death, sludge, thrash, prog, viking, folk, power, etc etc etc.

*edit* well I take back the "completely separate" part, since any evolution is derived from its predecessor to some extent.

And btw Ray, that sounds F-in awesome!

12. I agree with the OP on this one. The more mainstream metal music is all becoming the same. Yes, you do have all of this little branches that extend out, as Ray Salamon said, but those only go so far or you really have to dig for them. I don't think this is just metal though, I think Pop, Hip Hop, and Rap are all going through the same thing.

I blame people for the staleness more than anything else. Now days, people are too lazy or just unwilling to try something new. We are in a place where if you are comfrotable, stay there, don't try to find something bigger and better. All the bands that are out there pushing the envolpe are just getting buried by the same old, same old because that is what people are finding. I think Technology has hurt music more than anything.

13. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

I've yet to see 'Dance Metal'! :bag:

Seriously, I'm not a metal guy in the least but I have had many arguments with some die hard ____ Metal cats from Northern Europe and their thinking was to infuse metal into other genres which I think can work IF the musicians are familiar with the genres they are trying to infiltrate! He posted me a clip of a metal band trying to play Jazz and it was downright embarrasing! I think if you 'metal' guys become more well rounded and absorb different styles of music 'convincingly and honestly', it could work. By the way, I don't hate the genre but only the growly and screaming vocals. I like melody driven music. If it's got a good melody, I can dig it!

14. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

I think metal has been by far the most productive genre within the last 20 years.
    There now is so much diversity anyone can find a band to fit their needs.

Lately I've been listening to some math metal. Some guys manage to mix their riffs into complex ambiences in which the mind gets lost. Trippy.

These guys don't try to be teh brutäl of thee lawder, they just make great original music.
    There are hundreds of bands like them to discover.

15. beyondthe48

beyondthe48 Guest

Apr 29, 2007
    attack attack! is dance metal

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Not bad but...........the growlies :meh: ......

I like the rest of the music and the regular singer. :bassist:

17. While not necessarily "Dance Metal", August Burns Red does a song called "Internal Cannon" that has a sweet salsa bit in the middle that makes me dance whenever I hear it

Also my buddy was in a band for a while called The Beneath that managed to switch between many different styles all in the same song and some of them definitely made me wanna dance

This is the best example I can find without really digging
    The Beneath- The Game - YouTube

18. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

19. Metal doesn't care. It goes where it wants to, and reinvents itself. It lives on the extremes, and occassionally hangs around the middle for a while.

This is an old, old discussion that's been happening pretty much since Sabbaths 'Master of Reality'.

Personally, I'm hoping for a more broad return to the so-called Stoner stuff. More riffs, less blastbeats and cookie-monster vocals.

But then again, Metal does not care. It goes where it wants to...

20. You tricked me! I was expecting German thrash metal!

The problem for me is that its been hanging in the current era alot longer than ever before, and though its spreading out, doing things like incorporating cultural styles, like Finnish Folk metal and the maghrebian influence band Jazz posted, among many others, its not really changing anything, just very niche style stuff.