Future of Music - Senate Testimony

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Feb 7, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yep, another opportunity for me to dis commercial radio and the need for "subscription radio" and internet radio it created. Unfortunately, Tom Petty is right on target. :rolleyes:

FYI - On Jan 30, The Future of Music Coalition testified before a Senate Committee on it's study - "Radio Deregulation - Has It Served Citizens & Musicians?"

Some of the lowlights of the study:

- 80-100% of radio charts are dominated by artists signed to one of the five major labels

- Although there are more "formats" on the dial today than 10 years ago, the playlists overlap by as much as 76%. As a result, the same number of artists are still being heard as before.

- 2 parent companies control 45% of the radio industry revenues; 10 parent companies control 67%

- Almost every geographic market is an oligopoly (translation: very nearly a monopoly) resulting in conditions that are detrimental to musicians and listeners

The full testimony and study is at http://www.futureofmusic.org/news/senatecommercetestimony.cfm
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, it certainly is pretty bad. clear channel communications is out to destroy the world ;).
  3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You nailed one of the most insidious, John....previously, I didn't know Clear Channel is a concert promoter, too!!!!

Promote an artist's tour - have your radio stations play that artist's song in heavy rotation......how convenient!
    But there was one example of "cosmic justice" - Clear Channel was the promoter for the last Guns n' Roses tour fiasco :D
  4. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    and what really sucks about this is that the promoters are the _main_ reason why concert tickets cost so much anymore.

bands have a set fee that they charge to play at a venue - the promoter sets the individual ticket price. the explosion of seriously expensive ticket prices is due to promoter monopolies and greed.
  5. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    When I worked in radio, I hated dealing with promo companies, because they would always try to push stuff even though they knew darn well a community/campus station would never play. And, a lot of the time, you could tell that they didn't like a lot of the music they were pushing. Now if pushing music you hate doesn't qualify as selling out, I dunno what does. :rolleyes:
  6. Industry Jerks make me want to KILL! :mad: