Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Future Rig Setup Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassjunior, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Okay, so now that I know I can't have any fun with my current setup, it's time to start thinking about the future.

What I would like to have is two Eden 410XST's. My problem is that I'm a dumb guy, and can't figure something out. As the cabs are both rated at 1000W @ 8 ohms, I know that a mono bridge would result in a 4 ohm load to the amp, but, does that mean that I need an amp that can do 1000W + at 4 ohm to properly drive them, or would I need an amp that can do 2000W at 8 ohm.

Basically what I'm asking is does each output on an amp send the same ammount of power out, or is the power split when you plug in more than one cab.

In case anyone's interested, I'm thinking of getting a Demeter HBP-1 and some sort of power amp, probably QSC or Crown. Any comments or sugestions are fully appreciated.

2. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    get a power amp that is rated at about 2000 watts bridged at 4 ohms. then you will have a rig that has enough juice for any venue.

you will be running 1000 watts per cab at 4 ohms, and if you want to only bring one cab the same amp will push 1000-1200 watts into a single cab at 8 ohms. i would probably get the aformentioned amp and one 4 ohm cab and still have a rig that would go anywhere with less wieght.

3. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    What he said....

Also, you dont NEED to smash 1000Watts into each cab to "properly" drive them. Some cabs require that.... mostly cheaper brands with inefficient speakers. However, if your shelling a trillion dollars (well... not a trillion) for a pair of Eden XST's, you should be able to put 400Watts into each cab and have it be incredibly loud.

4. Alrgight, those are definitly the answers I was looking for, thanks for the response. Another thing I also might consider is instead of 2 410's, I could get a single one and an 18 inch Eden as well. That way I get the low frequency response from the 410 and the presence the 18 would offer.

It just blows my mind that 4 10" speakers have lower frequency response than an 18. Crazy.