1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fuzz and Delay... more than a mitten from yesterday?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wolfs, Dec 10, 2006.

1. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Any of you guys or gals run a fuzz pedal and delay together? I'm thinking Big Muff type fuzz and analog delay... I've searched through the sound sample thread and couldn't find anything, but audio would be nice... will settle for written analysis though.

2. Yeah, I started to do it recently.

Boss AW-3 -> fuzz (actually it's DIY overdrive with ECC83 inside) -> delay (Yamaha FX-500) -> flanger (Yamaha FX-500)

Pretty crazy soundscapes/drones.

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    This sample has all kinds of effects, including distortion + delay.

So does this one.

4. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    Pretty much most of my use is of distortion/fuzz with delay. It works wonderfully. I don't have any samples though, but its pretty self explanatory the fuzzed out notes repeat. I use mine for mostly wall of sound with the delay set around 300ms and about 4 or 5 repeats.

5. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    One of my favorite tones is fretless bass + ebow >> fuzz >> delay. Very spacey.

Also, I prefer digital style delays -- the warp function on the DD-6 can provide some very intense, easily controlled self-oscillation which gets very nuts very quickly with fuzz.

6. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Thanks for the links, nad. And thanks for the comments, guys. I'm not trying to get too crazy on the delay, maybe just a little slapback echo, I wondered if that subtlety would be runover by serious fuzz... anyway, I'll probably try to pick up an analog delay after I get the Little Big Muff and give it a shot.

7. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    It really depends on the fuzz. I'd say if you keep the sustain/fuzz pretty low and play staccato, it'll probably be heard.

8. +1
    I love this sound, and use it often myself.

9. I use a USA Big Muff, and a Boss DD-3 along with a Digitech Whammy IV set to 1 Oct Up...

:D

10. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    Sometimes it's good to use it more subtly, if/when I do this I use an ammount of delay that is not noticeible... until you play a note and then bend it, it makes a cool howling, dissonant sound for a brief moment.

11. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I like the sound of that... I really just want something that gives me something to work with and thickens up the sound a bit. Well I'll definitely give it a try.