Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fuzz comparable to wooly mammoth?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sloppysubs, Mar 13, 2005.

1. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ok i love my wooly, but i need something new. bassically id like to be able to get all the nasty from the wooly and all the tone too. however, if i want a subtle fuzz, id like that as well (if thats even possible). also this pedal has to work well with active basses.

thus far ive come up with the original sovtek bif muff or the american reissue big muff. however, im not sure which is better at sustaining the low and being heard through the mix.

i was also told the fran tone the sweet is a good one. dont know about the low tone.

any help is greatly appriciated.

edit: + if the is green :D

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I just got a Zoom Ultra Fuzz and it is the best fuzz I've ever heard.

Yes yes its a zoom but its all metal, true bypass, and anolog check the Harmony Central reviews.

They are hard to find now they're not made any more but if you do you won't regret it.

Hope this help

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ill give a look see. thanks

4. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I am using a Demeter Fuzzulator, which offers selectable germanium or LED distortion, a passive tone control, adjustable fuzz level and output level. It can get really snarly and nasty...or quite subtle (and it is very reactive to playing dynamics). True Bypass...built like a tank.....and it does not "suck" your tone (a big preoblem with fuzz pedals in general.)

I like it a lot....and I am very picky.

Max

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    alright ill check it out too.

anyone ever tried a PE depth charge on active basses? any good? what did you think?

6. selling the mammoth?

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Cool, I have one incoming and I'll let you know how it goes.

The problem is that most fuzzes don't work so well with active basses, I've only found a handful that do.

8. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    which ones might those be?

any of the ones ive mentioned? frantone (sweet or lo tone), prescription e., EH big muff green sovtek or american reissue?

i may sell the mammoth, not entirely sure right now.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Guyatone is a very good fuzz for a very cheap price.
    It can load up your tone with hi octave harmonics, pretty much like a Depth Charge.
    [​IMG].

10. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I am using the Fuzzulator with Godin A4 and A5 semi-acoustic basses. Both have LR Baggs RT piezo sytems with custom Baggs active preamps....The Fuzzulator is working fine here (it does have a "hidden" gain control which can be of help if the bass is ODing). I really like the overall "feel" (very dynamically responsive) and tone of the unit...and I have used PE units, as well as a Mammoth, and Fulltone units in the past.
    David,Let me know how it works for you.
    Max

11. sime

sime

Feb 27, 2005
    http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Awenda_Music/Ugly_Duck-01.html

i found one on e-bay a while back, contacted the seller and have had several cool e-mails about effects. my review was (as you can read) based on my guitar rig, but i have also used it when playing bass. it works well, unsure if it's what you want, i've never heard the woolly, but knowing zvex, it'll be interesting. as for working with active, i don't know.....i don't have active PU's anymore.

12. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've had issues with active basses and the Zvex, Frantone Lo Tone and a few others I can't recall right now.
    The Chunk Fuzz, Prescription Electronics Depth Charge and Black Cat all have no problems with active basses.

13. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    thanks david. ive been leaning a littel toward the depth charge anyway.

now if i may pester you some more, can it give me a subtle fuzz and then turn around and give me a very ballsy fuzz? also does it have good note definition? does it sound well with chords, mainly octaves and 5th chords? did you ever use a pic with it? true bypass?

i guess thats it, if you know where i can scare up a sound sample that'd be cool too. thanks

14. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    If I wasn't such an ass, I would share my fuzz joys and letdowns... But I have learned my lesson about shareing info on this damn forum!...

:smug:

Alex

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a problem with the concept of a "subtle fuzz". Fuzz is basically a square synth wave. It can hardly get delicate.

16. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Quite...

17. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    I've been using a black cat fuzz/overdrive combo box. So far it works out pretty good. You do lose a little bottom end at certain settings, but nothing major. It is pretty cool to have an over drive and a fuzz together in one box, and you can get some funky things going on with both engaged at the same time. I can go from a subtle distortion to my clip light constantly on. I have been meening to try a wooly though, it will probably be my next pedal. Is it just too much fuzz for you?

Oh, and the big muffs, if you are going to get one dont bother hunting for an old green one. We have four different ones in our practice space and can't tell a difference in any of them when played side by side. All of them eat up the low end a bit, but that is to be expected with most fuzzes.

18. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    the wooly is awsome. i love it, im just looking for more 'colors'. that and it isnt always in love with active basses. seems like it depends on the time of day.

also, when i said 'subtle fuzz' i also said 'if this is even possible'. i have been disproved of that theroy. i want to say quiet, but still having all the beef. i wish i had an example, but i dont. but mayeb you get what i mean?

19. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You can get a large variety of sounds with the Depth Charge, with the four controls it has. Using the tone/blend/gain controls, you can get muddy fuzz to really sharp fuzz. I really like it, I'm more trying the Demeter out of an impulse I have to try out every fuzz/od/dist pedal out there...

20. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    Is there more to tell about the Zoom UF-01 (Ultra Fuzz)..opinions, experiences etc.?