1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fuzz: Darkglass "Duality" or 3Leaf Audio "You're Doom"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fasto, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Darkglass "Duality"

30.8%
  2. 3Leaf Audio "You're Doom"

55.8%
  3. carrots

21.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    Can´t decide between those two fuzz-pedals ... i don´t like decisions based on (bad) YouTube demos, or complete other suggentions?

1. Darkglass "Duality"
    http://www.darkglass.com/products/duality-dual-fuzz-engine/

or

2. 3Leaf Audio "You´re Doom"
    http://www.3leafaudio.com/products.html

my other fuzz pedals are:
    - AmpTweaker Bass TightFuzz
    - green, russian Sovtek Big Muff
    - black, russian Sovtek Big Muff

i already sold because i didn´t like:
    - Z.Vex Wooly Mammoth (active bass problem)
    - MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe (in band-mix not cutting through)

2. i would go with the duality, because the description on the doom talks about synthy sounds and i don't care to have that tonal option. i think you should get the duality because of the promise of it being two fuzz sounds, you'd have to like one of them.

i don't know the sound your looking for, but the mxr el grande bass fuzz i sure to cut into the mix and not so much out your wallet.

also, do you use your other fuzzes in your rig? i'm think about getting another fuzz pedal but i don't see me using 2 fuzzes. i'd just use one over the other.

3. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    They reviewed them side by side in last month's Guitar and Bass (the UK mag).

I went through the same issue a few months ago and ended up going with the Duality. For a few reasons - a) it seemed more flexible - ie it had more sounds on tap.; b) I really like Doug and Darkglass - they are a classy organization who I think makes amazing products and should be supported; c) I asked around here and people said it would stack very well with my VMT; and d) I could find the Darkglass locally and check it out where the 3 Leaf was a little more complicated.

I am sure the 3 Leaf is a killer pedal, but I choose the Duality. Very happy with it.

fasto likes this.
  4. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I have a few different fuzzes always on my board. Right now I have the AnalogMan Peppermint Fuzz (Dark) and the Duality. I dial in very different sounds with each and use them on different songs. Could I live with 1? Of course. But it is more fun to have 2!

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Out of the two, definitely the Duality. The YD was a disappointment and I couldn't get a good sound out of it.

If you're open to other options, I rate the TAFM above both!

6. chaosmic

chaosmic

Feb 6, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    The You're Doom's strengths lie in it's dynamic response. It's feel is similar to an overdrive in my opinion. Also the upper & lower octave harmonics that are present give it a unique voice. The Gain control allows for a very wide range of response & compression. It's also a very clean & quiet fuzz without feeling gated necessarily. Works great after a boost or overdrive for more sustain & depth. Very uniquely voiced fuzz.

The Duality's strength lies in it's versatility & consistency of response regardless of what type of signal it receives (active, passive, high or low output, etc.). The left side of the Duality knob (gated) sounds & reacts very differently than the right side (non-gated). It truly offers 2 different & highly useable high gain sounds...or a combination that can be fine tuned for your rig & taste. It also reacts very well to your bass's volume control.

Hope this helps.

fasto likes this.
  7. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    Currently i don´t use any of my fuzz-pedals on my board cause no fuzz makes me 100% happy so far. My board looks like this: Tuner > Xotic X-Blender, in the FX-loop: Darkglass B3K stacked with Catalinbread SFT, G&K Fusion 500 Amp. I´m playing a Squier CV60´s Jazz Bass in C-standard tuning (stonerrock).

8. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    This ^^ helps a lot!!! So the dynamic response of the Duality is not that great? Hmmmmm.

9. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Nah - it's more full on madness all the time! It is what I find so charming about it! You can get more dynamic response by using the blend knob.

fasto likes this.
  10. chaosmic

chaosmic

Feb 6, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    The Duality is definitely full-on fuzz with your bass's volume cranked. That said, it cleans up remarkably when you reduce your volume, decreasing compression & changing the texture.

11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The Your Doom's dynamics are nothing special - certainly no more dynamic than your average fuzz, in fact I found the tonality doesn't change much whether you play lightly or dig in. The TAFM is far more touch responsive!

12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I really wish they added a gain control for precisely this reason - I preferred the 'low gain' tones with the volume knob rolled back!

13. Bassgeer

Bassgeer Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2011
    Canada
    To offer a counter opinion, I found that the You're Doom has great dynamic response, far more than a standard fuzz pedal. By using a very light attack, you can get a more organic, fatter, sputtery sound out of it. Using a heavier attack seems to make the harmonics fuzzier and give you a more aggressive sound. Dannybuoy and I have chatted about this already, and it seems like our differences in experience must have come down to gear (and I certainly am not trying to discount his experience). The You're Doom is my favorite fuzz - great for Muse stuff. However, clearly YMMV. If I had the extra scratch I would pick up a Duality, for crushing things.

The way I look at it, Doom = synthy, Duality = brutal. Pick your flavour.

chaosmic likes this.
  14. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    The Duality is an absolute hammer. I love mine. I've not used a YD, but it seems like a very different thing. I could see both living on a pedalboard to serve different purposes.

chaosmic likes this.
  15. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    I love the You're Doom...definitely not the typical fuzz, but it's very easy to get a subtle fuzz out of it which can be hard on some fuzz pedals. It's also got great dynamic response (maybe not everyone would agree, but IMO). I don't have a need for all out crazy fuzz, so it works great for me, and sounds good with filters. I also love the TAFM, but mainly used if for lower gain stuff which seemed like a waste of awesomeness :)

Haven't played a duality, but all the Darkglass stuff is top notch, and would be pretty easy to resell if needed...

chaosmic likes this.
  16. eveilleu

eveilleu

Oct 30, 2013
    Montreal, Qc
    or oxide?

Driven Crane likes this.
  17. I had both and kept YAD for one reason: it cuts through the mix better, even with 75% blend rolled to effected signal it still has lows present. I liked the sound of Duality on its own but as soon as I turned it on while band practice I was lost, my bass just disappeared. In fact YAD is called dynamic harmonic device so it's not just a fuzz but a bit different. I can easily dial Muse Hysteria bass tone with it. My favorite setting is toggle switch down, Mix knob at 70%, Gain very low at 20-25% and Tone 50%. To make it a bit thicker I put Darkglass B3K before it and it smokes!

eveilleu likes this.
  18. I tend to disagree. I noticed just the opposite. It changes to very harsh and aggressive when I dig in and can be very subtle if played lightly. Maybe it depends of the bass, my active Spector gets a lot of grind when you dig it in.

19. To add on the comparison, I really liked the tone of Duality, I was struggling a week to dial in some tone that can be heard in a dense mix, I even communicated to Doug on this but could not make it. Eventually after all efforts the Duality hit the road and I bought YAD, the issue was solved.

20. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    A lot of info in this thread! Many questions that I have had for the last couple of weeks are all getting answered here.