Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fuzz effect?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wowzerskid, Jul 8, 2000.

1. wowzerskid

wowzerskid

Jun 10, 2000
    hi
    can anyone tell me what type of pedal u need to get a 'Fuzz' effect.. as i got some tab and the main song is with Fuzz and i really liked the sound is was making ... so if anyone can tell me what type of pedal makes this effect that'd be great
    thanx

2. RickenbackeR

RickenbackeR

Mar 28, 2000
    Well, there is actually a 'fuzz' pedal.
    But all it is is kind of a dirty sounding distortion.. so if you have a distor pedal already you could tweak around and maybe find the sound you want.

RICK- [​IMG] -SOUND

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    As stated you can use a fuzz pedal or a distortion with the gain on full to get close. The biggest problem is the thin sound when using guitar effects. To prove this I just hooked up a bass to my (guitar) fuzz pedal. The results were very thin sounding even when I cranked the bass control. The pedal used was a ZVex Fuzz Factory. When I was in Fort Lauderdale I tried the bass version (Wooly Mammoth) and the bass response is excellent.
    THere is another problem. I dont know of another bass fuzz and the ZVEx is 200+. This is a lot of money for an effect.
    http://www.zvex.com

if you are interested. If anyone has used a different bass fuzz please chip in.

I actually prefer my bass clean but thats me. Happy Hunting.

------------------
    Say something clever and someone steals it

Chris

4. fat jonny

fat jonny

Jul 8, 2000
    Columbus Ohio
    I use an ELectro harmonix Big muff. It sounds pretty good with the bass. It really sounds best in the middle of the neck and up high. It cuts off a bit of low end, but not too bad. Worth checking out if you want a cliff burton like tone.

5. get a Boss ODB-3 bass distortion. nice thick low end and lots of distortion. it's a little trickier if you want a subtle tube overdrive sound, but despite what anyone says, it can be done. the Boss pedal is the only effect I consistently have used over the past three or maybe even four years. and it's built solid...I've dropped it sooooo many times and it sounds good as new. it's pretty good on batteries too

6. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Hey Facet, what settings do you use for the sublte overdrive sound?

I too use this pedal and I find that the overdrive sound requires a bit of tweaking to get right.

The formula that I use is this:

Level: 12 o'clock
    Bass: 2 o'clock
    Treble: 11 o'clock
    Balance: 8 or 9 o'clock
    Gain: Off

------------------
    Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.