Fuzz + Envelope = Synth???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nonohmic, Dec 20, 2005.

1. nonohmic

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Whats up crazy mofos?
    Looking at some Chunk Systms pedals and they had sound samples of their Gated Fuzz pedal hooked up to their Envelope Filter which created some mad almost synth sounds.
    Do you reckon you would be able to get this effect with lesser pedals? Basically want a synth like sound but dont have the money to set up a audio-midi VST/sampler etc setup.
    Where is a good place to start with effects so I can play electronica influeced music?

Cheers all.
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

There are several pedals with filters and a synth unit driven by the pitch of the bass.
    Korg G5, Akai Deep Impact and EHX Bass MicroSynth are the most common.
    No MIDI involved either.
  3. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    might be worth checking out frostwave gear for that electronica sound.
  4. idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    You can fake gated synths with fuzz followed by wah/phaser and a square-wave tremolo. Those are more commonly available pedals, but only get you one sound.

5. d-basser

Nov 20, 2005

i plugged up my big muff, my digitech BSW and my new cheapy behringer chorus. using all three at once with the chorus boosted up full on every setting and playng high pitched slides gave a passable impression of a dr who dalek, it was great.
  6. psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    The Chunk Systems pedals together sound REALLY synthy... at least on the clips on the site. Never tried in person. $250 for each pedal is a little steep IMHO.
  7. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    I use fuzz, octave, and chorus for synthy tones. I actually feel like the worse the pedal, the synthier it would be. I mean, if it tracked poorly and decayed right away it would sound cool.
  8. CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Try an Octaver/Sub Harmonic Generator into an OD/Dist/Fuzz type pedal into a bass filter or wah pedal.
  9. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    What's mentioned above is good, but if you through in an octaver it'll sound sweet too.
  10. Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Yeah I did the EH Octave Multiplexer (octave down) into my Original Marshall Guv'nor into the Q-tron, then finally to the Line 6 Space Chorus. Really weird synthyness.
  11. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i think the trick is to find a good fuzz pedal, which can definitely get very expensive very quick.
  12. I really like the sound of a fuzz (esp. my Dredgetone Angler) going into my EBS BassIQ (trimmer set 100% wet). That's how I do my (fake) Les Claypool impressions. :eek: :bassist:

~ Charlie
  13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually, the Dalek sound is made with ring modulation.
  14. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Actually, for synth sounds the buzzier and harsher the fuzz the better.

Analog synths primarily use two wave forms, sawtooth and square. Sawtooths contain all harmonics and squares odd harmonics only (fuzz boxes cranked all the way approach a square wave output).

The waves are passed though the filter to control the harmonic content. The filter output is fed into an amplifer stage which like the filter is envelope controlled.

If you run your bass into a fuzz box and an envelope following filter you have 2/3 of the analog synthesizer signal path. The amplitude envelope can be controlled by you the player, with a volume pedal or an "attack delay" pedal.
  15. Now, try this:
    1. fuzz
    2. envelope
    3. overdrive
    4. phaser
    Oh man that's crazy-nlgy-good...
  16. Actually the envlope filter has a loop effect which drives the fuzz... that's where the cheese clearly sticks (I mean, it starts to sound really cool)
  17. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Check out Studio Electronics Wolftone Chaos. www.studioelectronics.com . I think this baby might just be the ticket. By itself, the clips sound real nice. Imagine it working with others!