Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fuzz Face for bass?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Mar 28, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've seen a few comments here in the archive, including mention of a specific component change to "convert" it to a bass pedal.

I have a chance to buy a lightly used newer one for $40 - decent or dog? They're getting $100 at MoFo.

The used DOD "Flashback Fuzz" I picked up a while back has whetted my appetite for a better fuzz pedal. Think the bridge in "Flagpole Sitta" - that's the effect I'm looking for.

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have one, it works great. Some people may think it removes low end, personally I don't care.

It was commonly used by bassists in the 60s and 70s (of course, there was nowhere near the pedal choices then that we have today). Probably the best known user was Hugh Hopper with Soft Machine, a UK prog/fusion band.
    It's a very bright, buzzy distortion.

If your cabinet has a tweeter, I'd suggest turning it down or off because you will get spitty, fizzy noises from the pedal otherwise. Guitarists don't get that because their speakers have no response above about 5KHz (yes, modern bass cabs go lower AND higher in range than guitar cabs).

3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I used to own/use a Fuzz Face with my bass rig. It will kill some of your low-end, but I thought it still sounded pretty good. I remember using it to play Dolly Dagger by Hendrix, and I got the exact sound of the recording.

4. Actually if you want a really cool fuzz that wont smoke your low end, Try the crowther audio prunes and custard. Another good synth fuzz to get that sound you want is the Lovetone Big Cheese, that thing has the weirdest sounding squiltching fuzz.

Leave it to a gear head to suggest a more expensive effect. :rolleyes: :p

5. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    my guitarist gave me his jimi hendrix fuzz unit.. works really well.. i dont know how it compares the the flashback. it does cut the low end as i think all fuzz pedals do.. the b string sounds pretty cool on fuzz..

6. Austone Electronics has a pedal called Fuzz Nutz that is very similar to the Fuzz Face but it will not choke your low end, in fact it almost seems to give a bit of boost.. When I use mine things start scooting across the floor.

7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Frantone Lo-Tone. Really captures the 60's Fuzz sound. Great bottom, nice upper mid presence for cut. Sounds like a better, more defined Big Muff Pi.

8. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I do a cover of "Flagpole" in my band(Phillip the Meatbox) and what I use is the "Rodent" effect on the Line6 Bass Pod Pro. It is modeled after the ProCo Rat distortion. I like the model better than the original because on the Pod, you can adjust the bass,mids,treble and output to bring your level up(or in this case down) to unity gain to match your level before you kick in the effect. I've tried many pedals to replicate the sound of John Wetton's tone on King Crimson's "Red" album, but nothing beats an amp being pushed to the limit in the studio...which is hard to replicate live without blowing the rest of your band off of the stage(God knows sometimes they deserve it)! I would suggest adding an e.q. with the Flashback just to insure your bottom doesn't fall out. You'll have to double-click with your foot, but you'll get the hang of it.

9. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I'm sorry...its the "Large Pie" effect, which emulates a Big Muff Pi (wrong preset...much warmer than the "Rodent"). My bad!

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks for all the suggestions, gang.

Well, we tried it last night. Actually, we tried three different stomps - my DOD Flashback Fuzz, my new Fuzz Face, and my guitarist's vintage Big Muff.

During this short test, NONE of them hit what I was looking for. The DOD came close (!). I'll reserve judgement on the Fuzz Face until I swap out one of the caps (as I recall) and check the rest of the components.

11. Try out the MXR blue box, it's an octave fuzz you're after...