Fuzz Face Re-issue anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thejohnkim, Dec 11, 2005.

1. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    anyone try one of these guys out for bass? wondering if it cuts the low or not. Non-handmade(massmarket prices) germanium transistor goodness?
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Blecch! The Fuzz Face is being made again? Run. Far far away. Worst sounding pedal ever made. The only person who could ever make one sound good was Hendrix.
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'll disagree...a number of bassists have used it to good effect, most notably Hugh Hopper with Soft Machine and Richard Sinclair with Caravan and Hatfield and the North.

I own an ORIGINAL Fuzz Face and it's my favorite bass distortion device.

I'm not sure the FF actually sucks out low end but the fuzz is very bright and there's no tone knob to roll off high end so it SOUNDS like there's less low end. To me that's a good thing as it doesn't get muddy at all.

The original FFs were true bypass (not sure about the reissue) so there's no tone suckage when bypassed.
  4. ...don't forget McCartney on "mean Mr. Mustard" off Abbey Road...

...is the real one better than the PodXT version? - I like the sound of it but it does get rid of quite a lot (if not all) of the low end in my opinion...

would a Guv'nor 2 be better? - I've heard they can keep the lows and are good for bass distortion...
  5. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    thanks for teh song refences... i'm going to check them out...and try to decipher what the band names and song names are from the 3rd post