Fuzz factory vs wholly mammoth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Suckbird, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    What's the differences between them more than the fuzzz factory has 5 knobs and mammoth 4 :meh: . I have heard that Chris from muse uses a fuzz factory and i want that sound but just wanna know the difference.
  2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    The Wooly Mammoth is designed as a bass fuzz. The Fuzz factory is for guitar. I've had both, and the Mammoth is much better suited for bass. It doesn't sound very good with active basses, and most bassists don't really understand what fuzz is supposed to truly sound like, so make sure you try it before you buy.
  3. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Active pickups then?
    I dont think somebody close to me selling zvexs, i cant try them before i buy them. And yeah, isn't chris sound in hysteria and time is running out is fuzz then i have no idea what it is, only that he gets the sound out of a fuzz factory.
    And the reviews at harmony-central is pretty positive to.
  4. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    A couple of points

I have a fuzz factory bought for and used with a guitar. I've tried it on bass out of curiosity and it is unusable as the bottom end totally disapears. The only way I've got any decent bass response is to use the high pass function of the effects loop on my amp. Then it sounds like clean bass and fuzz guitar layered. It's actually quite similar to the sound Amy from Clatter gets (she has posted here on Steve Lwason's/Michael Manrings forum username Tosya or something).

The Wooley Mammoth has huge bottom end and although not as crazy as the fuzz factory can get some weird gated effects. I havent actually used one on bass but did AB the FF and WM on the same guitar/amp rig. The increase of bass is startling...

From listening to the CD's and reading Muse interviews the way that they often work in the studio is to double the guitar lines with a distorted bass guitar as well as a clean 'normal' bass track . So saying 'well Muse used one' might not work if you are not using it in the same context. Listen to Pure Morning by Placebo and a lot of the distorted 'guitar' is actually a 60's Fender VI bass.

Just my 2p but $200 is a lot to spend and be disapointed
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    No, it can't handle the impedance of an active bass, be it the pickups or a preamp.

And as CS said, he does a lot of biamping / signal splitting so he can use things like a fuzz factory while retaining the low end.