1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fuzz factory

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Musicman1901, Mar 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Musicman1901

Musicman1901 Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Anybody here use the fuzz factory on bass? I love the tone of it on guitar and there is a garbage quality demo online I saw and it sounds like it has a killer sound but I fear low end loss. Anybody give one a whirl? I'm sure it wouldn't be terribly hard to modify it to dish out more lows end but I like to hear from people who have used stuff since I don't live in an area that carries much nice gear. I'm wanting that super gated, sputtery, glitchy, pinched, squared off, sounds like it's gonna catch on fire fuzz tone. Versatility not a factor as I have two other fizzes to cover more ground. All its gotta do is the synth thing.

2. The standard fuzz factory will suck bass a little.
    if we're talking Zvex;
    The Fat Fuzz factory is better, but if you want a full thumpy velcro ripped out low end, the Woolly Mammoth is the one.

But there's plenty of gated fuzz options out there...

willbassyeah likes this.
  3. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I have heard too many people say the mammoth won't play well with active passes and that's all I play. Is that fat fuzz factory essentially just modified for bass?

4. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    You can try the mastotron. It has a knob to control the impendance input so it works better with active basses. It also has a 3 way switch like the Fat Fuzz Factory to add/cut bass.

5. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Sounds like the Mastotron and fat fuzz factory are essentially the same pedal haha. Maybe just a small change in he voicing?

6. The Mastotron circuit is very different from the FF. The original FF sounds pretty terrible on bass, lots of low end loss and just very thin sounding in general. The Mastotron is more of a really thick square wavey synth fuzz whereas the FF is more of a hot-rodded fuzz face. Definitely interested in your impressions of the Fat Fuzz Factory if you try one out!

7. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Not specifically for bass, but it has a switch that lets you control how much low end is filtered out. And that's what makes it work better than a regular FF on bass.

Guitar fuzz pedals usually have a built in high pass of sorts because otherwise they can emphasize the low end so much it ends up sounding bad. That's what makes them not work so well with bass. The FFF gives you control over that filter.

Musicman1901 likes this.
  8. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I'm either gonna buy the fat fuzz factory or the Mastotron I guess

9. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    Yes the Wooly Mammoth is a beast with my passive fretless jazz (flatwound) but doesn't get along with the active basses unfortunately. It just creates an awful din. It would be nice to mod it with an input control. Or one of those Active/Passive switch.

Musicman1901 likes this.
  10. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    I guess the Mastotron is essentially that. An active friendly mammoth

11. I'll echo the voices above. The Fat Fuzz Factory isn't full range on bass. It will still suck out a little bit of lows, not a lot, but it's definitely noticeable.

12. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    I think they sound rather different. I dig both though.

13. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    See I find this so interesting. Tons of ppl say they are identical and tons of people say they are nothing alike. *** hahaha. It drives me crazy

14. grillman

grillman

Dec 15, 2014
    I might be wrong. While I own the Wooly Mammoth I have only seen videos of the Mastotron. But the sound of a pedal depends so dramatically on your gear and your playing style that it's impossible to tell really.

It is a possibility that they are voiced similarly but that the controls interact differently. Dunno.. At this point one should try to A/B them to know the answer.
    But frankly I don't really picture M.Zachary Vex releasing two times the same pedal with only a few options more.

15. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Well what I thought the theory was for zvex was that it became well known that the mammoth didn't play well with active basses so they released it with an impedance control under a new name.
    Hence the similarity between a mastodon and a mammoth. I thought they were basically the same circuit but the Mastotron works with active. A lot of people agreed on this but tons say they are not the same at all.

16. Musicman1901

Jun 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 5, 2021