Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fuzz + Flats

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Arch Giddle, Jun 6, 2002.

1. I play a Burns Marquee strung with Status Flatwound Hot Wires. This means my Bass actually causes pure mud to eminate from my amp (a very retro 60's sound in other words).

I'm on the lookout for a good Fuzz pedal to grit the thing up a bit, but I don't want to lose my artless low-end sludge. It would be nice if the fuzz in question also adds a few higher frequencies as well just to make the thing cut through.

I've heard good reports about the Big Muff and the Rat, but has anyone had experience playing thru them with flatwounds or a similarly bassy noise? I'm looking at about $150 / £100 as a maximum to spend here so I can't get really stretch to a rack preamp.

Thanks

2. natasmi

natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    I have flats on two of my basses and never had a problem with fuzz boxes,and I have quite a few of them. they all sound better IMO with flats. tell if you like your Burns, hows the neck, I kinda like the scorpion, but they are tough to find in the US. BTW, I have a DOD flashback fuzz I'm lettin go cheap if you are interested, 2 tone controls on it,low and high, crank the low, drop the high, up the fuzz and it rocks.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    You might like the Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz. I had mine modded for a little less gain, but you can get plenty of highs from this thing, more than I'm usually looking for, in fact. Since you can blend your dry tone with the fuzz, and you have a couple of switches that control the character of the sound, you can get a lot of different tones out of it, from subtle to extreme.

4. I used flats on my very early days of playing, I dug into the 60's tone from my dad's old hippie albums... I asked him how to get that sound (being a bassist from that era) he said "you have a guitar amp, just string your bass with flatwounds." I ended up using the built in transistor distortion on my fender frontman, it gave me really twisted tone organ sound. But I got allot of lows sucked out (not like I had much to begin with playing through a cheap guitar combo). You will loose allot of lows with either a rat of big muff pi, but you can mod them to pass your lows out clean or mix them with your clean signal.

5. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Try a "Fuzz Face" - They are being manufactured again as the original, complete with Germanium transistors.
    They are soooo easy to modify for bass it's untrue.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Download "Blur song 2" and you'll see what a Rat sounds like on bass.

I believe thats what he is using.

I use the really really cheap Roadkill pedal.

Its actually built by ProCo, and the circuit board says ProCo Brat.

Its got a great sound for bass, I think it has plenty of lows, and I could only guess that the Rat is even better.

The Boss bass overdrive (I also own one of those) has too much treble for my taste. I feel that it makes my bass sound too much like a distorted guitar.

This may be what your looking for since I use rounds on my bass with a fair amount of trebble boost from my bass' Eq.

Peace
    Nick

7. Hey thanks for all the advice guys.

I had a feeling I'd lose low end with using a guitar fuzz pedal such as a muff or rat, but it hadn't occured to me that i could modify one for bass.

Thanks for the offer on the DOD natasmi but I reckon I'll get my brother (who is on an electronics course, fortunately for me) to build me a good bass fuzz.
    And since you ask, I like my Burns just fine because its so different to modern basses (ie it doen't have active everything and about five thousand knobs on the front!). Also it is medium scale which I love.

I know a few places to get schematics from, but does anyone know of any sites specifically dealing with bass mods?

8. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi,
    P.M. me and I can send you some schematics, mods etc.