1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fuzz for Doom Metal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fridge8, Nov 4, 2013.

1. I'm currently being recruited to play bass in a doom/sludge metal band. It's lower and heavier that anything I've played before and I'm thinking I can't just rely on my amps built in effects any more.

I'm wanting a pedal to provide me with some mean sounding fuzz for under £100. What can anyone suggest?

2. russpurdy

russpurdy

Apr 16, 2013
    Blackout effectors blunderbuss musket fuzz.

3. Big Muff (I like the big box USA)
    Pharaoh
    Wooly Mammoth (if you want square wave-ish tones)

What kind of amp are you running? That's more important than the fuzz you pick imo.

4. I'm using my Line 6 Lowdown LD175. It gives me all the distortion I need but I want something to give my sound a bit more body.

This "Blunderbuss Musket fuzz" sounds like a good call looking at reviews. "Sludgy, fuzzy, gained up mess" is a description I'm liking.

5. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    You should consider upgrading your amp if at all possible. As for pedals a lot of folks like the bluebeard. Come over to the stoner/doom thread and say hello, lots of good guys with reasonable advice over there: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1026883

6. This Bluebeard is a mean looking son of a bitch. "This pedal is designed to destroy and obliterate" I do like the sound of that. I'll keep looking through reviews.

I'm on very limited funds and my amp does have some lovely sounds. I'm not up for getting rid. Line 6 makes a very under rated range of bass amps in my opinion.

I might just pop round to your stoner/doom thread. I'm brand new to the forum so it would be nice to discuss things with like minded people.

7. splattermaster

splattermaster

Jul 19, 2013
    I run several, one of my faves for the money it's the swollen pickle, by way huge, el grande bass fuzz from mxr, black russian big muff, those are very cheap used. and if you want to go boutique or so, my favourite fuzz is the Sanford and Sonny Bluebeard Fuzz. If you plan to gig quite often I recommend you to go ahead for a "non-boutique" pedal, if a swollen pickle breaks you can pick other, if a discontinued or boutique pedal breaks, it's a pain the ass.

8. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i primarily use the od on my d180 head for sludge, but when i'm at the practice space i use the wmd geiger counter or the wooly mammoth clone, l really like the white face rat reissue and the fuzzrocious rat tail, but i haven't received them yet

9. zwkoch

zwkoch You can't do that on bass enthusiast Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    No fuzz is louder and heavier than the Eau Claire Thunder. I had to dial the volume at 1 to keep from killing everything in the room.

10. godblender

godblender Banned

Mar 11, 2009
    Michigan
    I would add an Acid Age (formerly Earthbound Audio) Supercollider to the mix.

11. The Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian is the best fuzz I've played to date but its a little bit over £100...not by much, though. Its essentially a green Russian muff clone but with more balls behind it. Great if you want a crushing fuzz tone.

If you want a more subtle and neater fuzz, the Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B is a good option too. Again, its pretty much another muff clone but its designed for bass and has a nice edge to it.

If you want something cheaper that will get the job done, the EXH Bass Big Muff isn't too bad. In fact, I still use mine. Its THE entry bazz fuzz, if you ask me. Decent tone and good low-end retention but its naturally got a very scooped tone which doesn't work in your favour when playing in a band - least of all a stoner/sludge band. I couple mine with a Boss GEB-7 EQ pedal to boost the mids so that the BBM sounds more pronounced in the mix. Then again, maybe you don't want to be in the spotlight and want the fuzz to fatten up the guitars...in which case, it does a well-enough job on its own.

12. keithbroussard

keithbroussard Supporting Member

Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh and Death By Audio Fuzz War

13. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Way Huge Swollen pickle is pretty amazing and can be had cheaply. That pedal has outlasted countless others on my fuzz quest.

14. Subtle is not in anyway what I am looking for ;).

I can get a Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi for pretty cheep second hand and reviews look pretty good. Would this be a good place to start trying to put together my sludgy sound?

15. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Man, there are literally hundreds of options. All these opinions really mean nothing. Your going to have to do the research yourself. When I did it I would up with the TAFM ( which still makes me extremely happy), but the B:Assmaster ran a close second. I just looked at a video of some pedal that is for sale here in the classifieds that sounded pretty damn great too. Whatever you decide, make sure you get one with a clean Blend.

Good luck. And yes, upgrade the amp when possible.

16. The_Janitor

The_Janitor

Jun 30, 2012
    Madison, Wi
    Definitely stop over and say hello.

17. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    I have some suggestions:

Sanford and Sonny Bluebeard - gain for days!!! but it does not boost the low-mids. Mid-range screamer
    Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian - lots of gain, and it boosts the low-mids quite a bit too. Low-range wall o' fuzz.
    Mountainking Megalith - almost synthy, super heavy, kinda a mix between the above in terms of fuzz flavor.

When I think of doom, I think of the Tall Font Russian. I just sold mine for much needed money. But I'm gonna replace it as soon as I can, or build a Pharaoh and modify it or something.

Thing about the Tall Font though is it doesn't get as loud as some would like, but it is super low-mid-rangy. I mean, it seems made to make your bass sound super baddass.

The Megalith is like that too, but in a krankier sort of way, less vroomy (muffled like), more fuzzstortion, buts lots o' bass.

18. gastric

gastric Professional product tester for hire

Jun 8, 2009
    Raleigh, NC
    Source Audio BETA tester
    Check out the Source Audio OFD. Due to the various blends and massive 3-band EQ you can make nearly any of the drive voices sound bass-laden. And you get 2 presets.

19. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Just got a Bluebeard and it is incredible. Not sure how new this info is, but the current production line has a tone knob bypass that adds volume, clarity, and brings back some mids. Also, they are "beer proofed".

20. Sir Sly Ry

Sir Sly Ry

May 21, 2013
    Have you ever tried the LSTR on bass?