1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fuzz Help...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gnasher1993, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

I'm looking for a new fuzz/dirt pedal and I've narrowed it down to three. I was hoping that there's a few of you out there that have a better idea about them than me. There are one or two of you who may well be fairly biased (you know who you are) but offer your opinion and I shall be proven correct :D.

The three pedals are:

Devi Ever - Year of the Rat
    Electronix - Messdrive
    Earthbound - Supercollider

I was thinking that maybe grygrx (if you're reading this ;)) could offer his (somewhat) expert opinion. They're all similar prices so, if it were your money, which one would you buy?

Thanks

2. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    The messdrive is great, but its pretty different from those. Your best bet will be to listen to clips/reviews and find what you like best.

3. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    What are you hoping to accomplish musically with said fuzz pedal?

4. How can I describe it? Erm...how about a violent wall of sound with subtle undertones haha? Did that make sense? :bag:

I'll assume not, so...I'd like something that can be super outrageous but I would like some degree of tonal shaping so I can dial in one or two different sounds. Does that help at all?

5. CliffD

CliffD Gold Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Dude of all of Devi's pedals you picked the YOTR? I'd look into her stuff more. I'm a huge fan of her (I have like 13 of her pedals now I think) and they all rip. Can you better describe the sound you're looking for?

6. I just want something to support my Otto Filter and Octabass to get a dirty synth-type sound. I play in a 'jazz' quartet but its not really typical 'jazz'. We are heavily influenced by electronic styles etc. I'm looking for a pedal that can offer more than a single sound. I can't say I'm much of a 'tweaker' as such but I do like to be able to alter sounds.

So, all-in-all, I'm not after a pedal for use as a standalone fuzz; I'm looking for some sawtooth-style synth bass sounds. There isn't really any boundaries...

7. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    it's one of only two i've ever found myself interested in. It's a very cool pedal for bass - other devi pedals haven't always struck me as being so great for bass. low-end friendly, maybe, but not low-end oriented. (I am actually hoping I won't have to sell mine). A lot of the devi stuff looks like noisemaking toys that would get boring fast

8. Well the Year of the Rat is one of the least "wall of fuzz" pedals she's ever made, I so don't think it's what the OP is looking for. It's actually quite a subtle pedal. If you want wall of fuzz that is still usable on bass, out of Devi's selection I would recommend the Hyperion or the Shoegazer

9. I'll have to check those out. To be honest, I secretly hoard pedals (as in I buy them and never sell them) so whichever of the three I buy will quite probably end up being joined by the other two in the long run.
    How does the Hyperion compare to said Shoegazer?

10. I find the Hyperion to be kinda Muff-like, except with a slightly more biting tone, and much better note definition. I like it a lot.

The Shoegazer has two foot-switchable stages, so you can switch between two different tones, which is cool. The first stage is Devi's Torn's Peaker circuit, which is kinda like a biting fuzz. Then the second stage fills out the sound into the wall-of-fuzz thing. I think its a better pedal, but it also costs twice as much as devi's littler pedals, so that may be part of the decision.

11. CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Ok cool. I'd check out her silver crank (33), it's a very low end loving unique fuzz that I think sounds like a killer synth with the control around 2 o'clock, and a killer fuzz when maxed. That or her GZ, it's another pedal that has cool synth like sounds and when maxed has a cool fuzz sound. The silver crank and GZ both carry plenty of low end to boot. If you really want to rattle some walls check out her bass fuzz, it'll rattle you walls off.

12. CliffD

Jan 27, 2008
    San Diego/Seattle
    Yeah a lot of Devi's stuff is for the noise loving fuzz junky for sure, and fuzz tone can come before low end, but here are my some of my fav Devi pedals that have plenty of low end:

Bass Fuzz
    GZ
    33/Silver Crank
    Soda Meiser
    Electric Brown
    Cherry Pop

13. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Holy crap, the Hyperion sounds awesome. I think I want one of those now.

14. joeypistol

joeypistol

Aug 5, 2008
    WA
    if u have the money... go zvex woolly mammoth pedal for sure best sounding fuzz i can think of

15. How much is the Woolly Mammoth? I assume its a fair amount given that its ZVex. Are there are any clones out there that are similar to (or better than?) the zvex. Any other recommendations?
    Oh, and has anyone got anything to say about the Supercollider?

16. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Whats the difference between fuzz and distortion. Sorry for the derail, but Im an effects noob and am trying to gain some knowledge.

They sound the same to me, thats why I ask.

17. joeypistol

joeypistol

Aug 5, 2008
    WA
    i dont know how much the Zvex mammoth is new but on ebay they go for $300 ish and as far as a clone i think there are some other brands out there that sounds like it but , please correct me if im wrong, nothing is quite as good as the mammoth. i havent really researched it all that much

18. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    I know a German electronics engineer who will do a Woolly Mammoth clone for $179+$12 shipping

19. Ooh, more information please ;)
    Sound clips? Web address? Photos? et cetera...

20. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    hit the wiki, jordasch! ;)