1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fuzz / Nasty distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dancehallclasher, Oct 5, 2001.

1. has anyone ever tried out one of those little Smokey amps? you can get a mean distortion but the tone is a little thin, unless you plug it into a combo amp. i did this for the first time tonight, and realized that i need this sound in pedal form. it's great for re-creating radiohead's "the national anthem" and their live version of "packt like sardines in a crushd tin box."

so, i don't want a tube-like overdrive or anything, my sansamp does that just fine. i want nasty and dirty distortion, no boutique crap.

so, hast thou recommendations? on my list to try out so far:

-proco rat
    -big muff
    -zvex wooly mammoth

2. Boss ODB-3.. it can go from warm overdrive to ear-poinging mayhem...

:)

3. Ear Poinging Mayhem is right!

Try something sweet like a Fulltone Bass Drive.
    Tubular!

4. the ODB-3 can pretty much only give you a fuzzy dirty sound but it does a damn good job at it. There really is no way to set a nice warm overdrive on it.

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    the big muff can give you a dirty sound, especially in lower ranges, but it can sound sweet when you play higher notes with the sustain up all the way. It's my choice anyway.

edit: the NYC and Sovtek models sound VERY different IMO. I have the NYC.

6. The Z-vex get's sick sounds (in a good way), but the Lovetone fuzz is truely cool.

7. I'll stick by the Wooly Mammoth for nastiness.