1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fuzz, not buzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OptimusPrime, Aug 5, 2008.

1. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I'm looking for a fuzz pedal that doesn't get buzzy or brittle AT ALL. I'm looking for thick ass non-buzz fuzz tone. Anyone got any ideas?

2. B.C.

B.C.

Jun 28, 2005
    Indiana
    Hm, by buzzy do you mean like really noisy? Like a lot a lot of noise with the gain up?

3. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    No, noise isn't a big deal, but minimal is nice. I'm talking about buzzy as in a buzzy tone. You know what I'm talking about? I suck at describing things.

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I disclose nothing
  5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Hmm, I don't like buzzy fuzzes either but then I was surprised to hear you say that the Blowtorch comes close to what you want. I would rank that among the "buzziest" fuzzes I've ever played which is why I didn't like it and I'm sure why others do.

Still, if you are thinking of the same kind of fuzz that I am, here are some options off the top of my head.

The Assmaster has a clean blend and is a great pedal but again a bit on the buzzy side rather than the warm, thick side that I wanted. I think a blended Big Muff would be a good way to go so perhaps the Wren & Cuff Pickle Pie B would be up your alley, though I've only heard sound clips.

The Chunk Brown Dog can be buzzy but it has a pretty wide range of tones and a really good clean blend.

Lastly, the Prescription Depth Charge may well be worth checking out. That's all I can think of for now.

6. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    more detuned radio static, less power tool, amirite?

If so, I've been on a search for the same thing. Color me interested.

7. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Well, I think the reason the Blowtorch almost worked for me because I keep my bass tone knob pretty low and I had the highs cut and the mids and lows boosted when I had one. It wasn't that buzzy. Just a little.

I think a Big Muff that only fuzzes the mids and lows and leaves the highs clean would be perfect. I had that idea a while ago and made a thread about it. I need a frequency crossover and a 3 channel mixer to get it all working. I'd love to have it all custom made into a big ass enclosure. 1790 or 1690 perhaps.

From the samples of the Depth Charge that I've heard, that's about the buzziest fuzz I've ever heard.

8. My old green sovtek muff isn't buzzy. Its a good solid fuzz with plenty of low end

9. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    The EHX Bass Big Muff has a clean/fuzz mix. When it's in that mode, you can use the volume to dial in the amount of clean or fuzz. It's pretty darn versatile.

10. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    I watched grygrxs review a couple days ago, not impressed.

11. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Again, we all hear things differently. Even with the clean blend, neither the Depth Charge nor the Assmaster were for me (both are Brassmaster clones I believe) as they were both too buzzy but again I was thrown by the idea that the Blowtorch was close to what you wanted. Honestly, I don't know if it is my gear or what but for the month I had the MXR I got nothing but angry bees on every setting except when it was almost completely clean tone.

Personally, my favorite dirt boxes at the moment are the Blueberry for OD and the Frantone Bassweet for fuzz. I also like the XXLB run into a Sansamp for really crunchy distortion. The BBBOD is the only one on my board, but all are nice and thick without any buzzing. Then again, none of them have a clean blend except the SansAmp and I don't use the blend on it.

To be honest, I haven't personally played a fuzz that was thick and non-buzzy AND had a clean blend. Your best bet might be to find a fuzz you like and get a blender.

Good luck.

12. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    What have you found that's thick and non-buzzy? I can have a clean blend added.

13. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    What have you found that's thick and non-buzzy? I can have a clean blend added.

14. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    To be perfectly honest, none of the clips of this pedal impressed me. It did impress me when it counted, though. Try before you fly, you might like it.

15. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Well, the Bassweet is at the top of that list. It can very easily get very harsh sounding, but not thin or buzzy. It is deep and thick.

Quite a few Muff clones would probably fit the bill. For a while I had a bass modded NYC Big Muff that I dug a lot. Blended it gave me the slightly bassier version of Robert Sledge's tone that I wanted at the time. That's why I thought the Pickle Pie B might be worth checking out.

If we're talking thick bass fuzz, I'd be remiss not to mention the Wooly Mammoth. I didn't really care for it (plus I play all active basses anyway) but it's plenty thick.

16. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    The germ version is MUCH smoother than the silicon

If you live in a world of tweeters or hi-fi output this pedal sounds like a live swarm of bees is living in the background. ;)

17. +1 Im yet to compare against a Silicon one, but from the clips I've heard, my Germ one is much more mellow. I wouldn't say it was particularly 'buzzy' sounding.

18. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    +1 for Sovtek Muffs, they can be super smooth.

If you can find one, I think a DOD Bass Grunge is perfect. Can do an excellent Muff imitation, but separates high & low distortion and has a clean blend. Then again, I think it's pretty much always the perfect fuzz.

19. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Hmm, I should have mentioned that I haven't played a Depth Charge myself. I just figured it would be similar to the Assmaster since they are modeled on the same original. I was looking for something slightly darker than the Blowtorch per the OP's description. Well, at least I know that I don't need to bother checking it out for myself. ;)

I've wanted to check out the Germanium Assmaster, but since it's also an octave up fuzz I just don't see it being dark enough for my tastes. Shame too, because there's a lot of things I dig about Malekko as a company.

20. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    my vote would go for a Pickle Pie B - the only fuzz you will ever need IMHO

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021