1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fuzz pedal suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Colin.Lush, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Colin.Lush

Colin.Lush

Sep 7, 2008
    I'm looking at getting a fuzz pedal, any suggestions on what to get or what to stay away from?

2. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    My two favourite fuzzes are: BOSS FZ-5 and Ibanez Tonelok Bass Synthesizer. :smug:

Yup, you heard me: bass synthesizer. :)

3. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Let me you help not get flamed by the search nazis...what type of sound are you going for? There are so many different flavors of fuzz out there, it helps to give some type of example of what you're after. :)

4. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    At its price point, the ehx Bass Big Muff is pretty hard to beat. It's arguably the best "vintage" fuzz for bass, but it's not limited to old-school tones. If you want a real buzzsaw-type modern bass fuzz, you might look elsewhere - and you'll probably be spending more on it.

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    This may come off more rude than I intend, but you'll get a lot more help with a more thought out and specific post.

For example, if you said, "Hi, I'm looking for a fuzz. I play all passive jazz basses in a post-rock band and am looking for a fuzz sound like in Myxomatosis, then I would tell you to check out the Audio Monk "Fuzz Potion".

The more details you give (including your price range) the better we can help. Otherwise you'll just get people listing their favorites which may or may not work for you.

6. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Yup, that's what I did. :D

May I add another cliché: fuzz, like overdrive and distortion, is a very subjective effect. It's a matter of taste.

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's very kind of you. IMO however some posts, which show absolutely no effort or thought, don't deserve much kindness. To the OP, we appreciate it when posters make an effort to educate themselves, or at least read the FAQ and stickied threads. Heck, even just read the titles of the stickies.

8. eyvindwa

eyvindwa Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
  9. so far my favorites on bass are ronsound stone machine, malekko b:assmaster, and the EHX Bass Muff, i had a superfuzz clone that sounded killer with my old fender geddy lee, but horrible with my rickenbacker 4003.

10. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'mma dissatisfied with my life and think I have nothing real to contribute to this thread.

11. spunj13

spunj13

May 14, 2007
    niles, mi
    fuzz pedals vary so much it really is a matter of taste...
    right now i've got some serious gas for a new MXR EL Grande Bass Fuzz (i really love the tones that it's turning out) and i'm getting my hands on a ProCo Rat soon too...
    and then there's the old Sovtek Big Muffs...
    it's all a matter of what KIND of fuzz you're looking for.

[spunj13]

12. what to get:
    something with 'Fuzz' labeled on it

what to stay away from
    something labeled 'clean boost'

but seriously, we need a price range, and some background.
    u have any other pedals? any other overdrive/distortions?

theres a clips database in the WIKI which'll help you out, hell just type 'bass fuzz' into youtube and you'll get a fair few examples.

you got any example tones?
    ie intro to Around The World by the Red Hot Chili Peppers

fuzz is a pretty big subject and is discussed all the time on TB, so please try to be more specific about what you want from a fuzz

ie:
    Do you want a clean blend to retain some clarity or just something that'll turn your bass into a fire breathing demon
    Do you want an more organic sounding fuzz (like a big muff) or a synth like buzz saw (like an MXR Blowtorch)?

let us know and we'll help you out :)

13. I'm in the market for a fuzz pedal as well, but like someone mentioned earlier go to bassfuzz.com. Great reviews of boutique and major brand fuzz boxes. And then its just a matter of if it works right with your particular setup.

14. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie B.

15. Colin.Lush

Colin.Lush

Sep 7, 2008
    I see your point haha. Well I'm not sure of what fuzz sound I'm looking for, I've been playing bass for about a year now. I was looking for something that did a reasonably wide range of different kinds of fuzz if it was available, and price really isn't too much of an issue.

16. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    +1

Grygrx does a great job of reviewing several fuzz pedals. Troll around his site and enjoy. Heck, you could even make a donation...

17. I'm undecided about what fuzz to get too.

I've had a russian Muff, hated it, it was way too crazy, too touchy, and huge loss of low end.

I've tried out a Fuzz Factory clone that I quite liked, though there was something wrong with it, and it had some pretty horrible feedback when you stop playing (even while muting the strings)...

What I'm looking for is a FULL deep Fuzz, something akin to the kind of fuzz you can hear in Muse, etc.

what can you guys suggest?

strangely enough, the Ibanez Phathead got close-ish to what I wanted, but didnt quite get there.

18. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    + lots

19. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks, gry. :)