1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Fuzz pedal very noisey with Rick 4003 but is dead silent with my CIJ Jag

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vonnegut, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Vonnegut

Vonnegut

Jun 10, 2014
    Not sure if this is the right subforum for this,

But whenever I plug my rickenbacker into my Malekko B:Assmaster, and turn it on, it is super noisey and just screams, whereas when I plug my jag into it, whether it be in active or passive mode, all things the same, it is dead silent when activated.

Does anyone have any insight into what might be wrong ?

thanks!!!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    I don't have a Jag, but higher output pickups on the 4003?

Mine does the same whenever I kick on the OD without reducing the gain significantly.
    They're single coils, and can squeal like a lil piggy if I'm right next to the amp!

3. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    Your jag has a hum cancelling P-bass pickup (if you solo the j it might get a little noisy), but your Ric has two single coils that unlike a jazz bass are not in wound in reverse polarity to cancel hum when used together. People talk about Ric's being noisy a lot.

Active or passive mode should have no effect.

Honestly I'd just roll with it, feedback is fun.

4. kcole4001

kcole4001

Oct 7, 2009
    Nova Scotia
    This will fix the hum issue, as long as both pups are equal volume, like a Jazz.
    (won't help with feedback, though)

[Rickenbacker 4003] RWRP Bridge Pickup Mod Tutorial

I've done it to all of three of my two pickup Ricks, totally reversible, and quite simple to do.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 13, 2021