1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

fuzz pedals: big muff pi vs. t-rex bass juice.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by capncal, Apr 16, 2009.

1. capncal

capncal

Apr 14, 2009
    ah yes. i do love the fuzz. i rented a big muff pi the other day from the doo wop shop and really dug the sounds. only it's not very versatile and my bandmates, who are a bunch of wussies, thought there was too much fuzz for what we are trying to do. and in all honesty, it is.

so i went today to try and find somthing better. so back to the doo wop shop i went. the dude who owns the place told me bass pedals are dumb and i just need a better amp and guitar. and he's right. i do need a better amp and guitar. but i really want that fuzz, man. so i tried out a couple of pedals they had and they all sucked. a grunge pedal, a metal pedal. digitech bullcrap.

so i meandered across the street to the guitar emporium. these cats have some nice stuff, man. like vintage fenders they don't even put price tags on. but anyway, they had a bass big muff pi i tried out and compared to my regular big muff pi. i also tried a t-rex bass juice. i wanted to try the fulltone bass driver, but it wasn't there at the time. some gear show somewhere or something. whatever.

the bass big muff sounded tremendously better than the big muff itself. much more versatile and i really dug it. and it's in the 80 dollar range so that's reasonable i figure.

then i plugged in the t-rex bass juice. ah, love. that thing allows for just a touch of dirt and grit to full blown nasty if you hit the boost switch.

of course the t-rex is in the 280 range...ay carumba. next week i'll go back down and try the t-rex along side the fulltone. i can afford neither.

i reckon i need to spend more time trying to get the sound i want out of my bass and amp as it is...

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    get the bass big muff and see how it works for you. worst case scenario, you live with it until you can afford the other one you think you need ;) and then flip the bass big muff for 50-60 in the tb classifieds

3. JoshC

JoshC

Nov 19, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    I would go with the bass big muff if you want fuzz. I'm not sure you're 100% positive what you are after, as neither the Trex or the Fulltone are fuzz pedals. But whatever, we might be able to point you to a better pedal if you posted a song or something that maybe has the sound you're going after, and your bass/amp. Anyway the guy in the first store who said bass pedals are dumb is obviously not a cool guy. Pedals are the bomb, they can totally open up new realms of creativity you never knew you had.

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Sounds like you want an overdrive AND a fuzz. Get the BBM, and check out the Digitech Bad Monkey for a dirt cheap overdrive that works well on bass.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Anyone who tells you guitar distortion pedals work better on bass than bass distortion pedals is nuts, with the exception of a couple that actually do work well.

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Not always - I'd take a Digitech Bad Monkey over a Boss Bass Overdrive any day of the week!

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    What did I say, Danny? ;)