fuzz stompbox to use with a tube amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by brake, Sep 30, 2004.

1. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Not necessarily trying to sound like anyone specifically, just trying to get a bit of grit in the tone. Nothing over the top. The rig now is a Spector into an old Traynor head.

What would be best?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    do you mean fuzz or overdrive?
  3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    don't know about fuzz..but for some grit or dirt, I use a SansAmp Classic..and for some really dirty grind for a greasy funky sound, I use an old RAT box in combo with a Q-tron and EBS Octabass....can you say P-Funk? sure you can..:)
  4. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Electro-Harmonix Big Muff is always a favorite.
  5. I use an MXR M80 Bass DI+ with my SVT-CL and Jazz to get a really nasty grind on some of my bands songs and it keeps the bottom end intact. I love the sound I get with it. The problem with some guitar distortion pedals is they clip the bottom end. I will never play another gig again without my M80 Bass DI+.

I've heard good things about the the GK Diesel Dawg and the Fulltone bass fuzz
  6. I've used my Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz with a tube amp and has been one of my favorite sounds!
  7. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    If you are looking to goose the front end of a tube amp, you should probably look at either a boost pedal such as the Fulltone Fatboost, or the MXR Micro Amp. Or a high gain bass overdrive (bass model Hotcake), because by the time most fuzzes reach tube pushing levels they lose a lot of bass response...