Fuzz - Synth/Old School, not Muff-y Recs?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thejohnkim, Nov 10, 2005.

1. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    I've done hours of reading, and I think I need to make sure for myself.

Ideal sound: I love what a Frantone Lo Tone sounds with a passive bass

problem is my only bass is an active with humbuckers, a Pedulla Thunderbass T5, (i looooove this thing btw)

I'm pretty sure I'll have to check out a Brown Dog by Chunk System,s because theyr sound samples sound like they get very close, and that gating system is something i really like., but they're so hard to come by (any suggestions for NYC?)

I'm definitely not looking for that edgy fuzz, like a muff, but that nice fuzz that yo ucan crank up in volume and not hurt any ears, like a Lo-Tone. That synthy fuzz, without the envelope filter. Maybe there are synth pedals that you can turn the filter off on? I sold all my pedals, and am only left with a Fulltone Bassdrive, and yeah, I can do the poor man's fuzz by diming the drive, but I'd like to see if there is anything out there that won't break the bank from your experiences. I also tried to just go with a Boss ME-50B because it could be very useful, but the fuzz on it was muff-y as well.

(for ex, the tightass and bodyheat samples on the chunk website sound pretty good to me)

There seem to be a lot of fuzz pedals that only work with passive basses, like the Wooly Mammoth and Lo-Tone, but haven't found any pedal that has consistent reviews with active basses enough for me to buy sight unseen.

Any takers? Thanks in advance, and I'm open to just reading old threads that might be helpful too.
  2. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    There has GOT to be an interface circuit that would make an active look like a passive!

there MUST be; I mean even if it had knobs and/or a slug-tuned pot-core reactor or something that you'd have to play with for different bass/pedal combinations.

I s'pose someone could say that the electrical relationship goes all the way back through the pickup coil, and affects the string vibration... but I really doubt it! If some kind of fixed, 'blackbox' impedance would do the trick, then some enterprising engineer/tech should get on this...

Maybe I'll bring my passive into the QA Lab next week, and do an impedance sweep with the 'ol Wayne Kerr Analyzer...

3. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    Hey man, this is the most useful thread i found:

post #44 has some guy who mentions some way he used to make his fuzz box work well with buffered electronics. haven't found antyhing else on this, but mostly because i haven't been looking.

I had hopes that i could find an affordable fuzz (less than $150 used, and availible on the market) that does that gentle clipping that i love (like the synth in my old Boss me-8B) like the "tightass" clip from the Chunk website, but doesn't look like there is anything.

heck even finding the Brown Dog new if i had the money looks like a chore as Guyatone (the US distributor) is out of stock and the page at steve's music center is down. nothing else shows on froogle/google.

and for anyone else david wilson has a good list of pedals on that same link above on post #38 for my original question.