1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fuzz through a 3 way cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tea-Jay, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Tea-Jay

Tea-Jay

Dec 2, 2018
    Noob here...Would heavy fuzz sound good through a 3 way cab or is it best to stick with a vintage style cabinet? Thanks for any coaching-

2. I'm not a huge user of 'fuzz' , but I'll often use drive in some form.... I always have any horns/ tweeters etc OFF
    I've got a Bergantino NV215 which has a mid-driver, and this is usually also OFF when I'm favoring dirty sounds. Usually.
    Of course it'll depend on how raspy you want ur fuzzy sound and how you set up ur fuzz tone. But, generally, I'd say that a standard woofer would be my choice

Tea-Jay likes this.
  3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have heard of a couple people actually liking fuzz with the tweeter on but I think it sounds like dogcrap. Anything over 5 khz needs to go.

ThisBass, Tea-Jay and smperry like this.
  4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I also prefer no tweeter with fuzz, but to be fair, I almost always prefer no tweeter. My cab is two way, but it's a 15 with 4" upper mid drivers.

Tea-Jay and JimmyM like this.
  5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    No mid or tweeter...blah

Just a good old full range speaker
    No fiddle faddle or
    Dittle daddle

Just Velcro fuzz sustain

Tea-Jay likes this.
  6. Tea-Jay

Tea-Jay

Dec 2, 2018
    Cool. Thanks so much guys.

7. It's fine, IMO, if you have some other stuff rolling off the high end (cab sim or some other type of lpf), otherwise it's pretty sputtery.

Tea-Jay likes this.
  8. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Depends on the distortion and cab you use, and what you want to hear. A lot of 2-way bass cabs sound awful with any sort of distortion because the crossover is not implemented well and a crappy tweeter is used.

Even with a well implemented multi-way design, most people prefer some degree of low pass filtering to cut down on fizziness. An LPF pedal can take care of the necessary filtering, but using a full range speaker provides a natural roll off of the high frequencies and is generally preferred by distortion enthusiasts over cabs that run tweeters.

In my experience the fizzy quality becomes more likely to develop as gain is increased. This is one of the reasons I prefer stacking multiple low gain overdrive pedals to using one high gain fuzz.

Lot's of different ways to get an awesome sound...also lot's of ways to get a really crappy sound. I suggest running your own experiments, where possible, so you can learn from first hand experience what works and what doesn't.

Tea-Jay likes this.