1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fuzz with a 4 band EQ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Boy_Narf, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    Hello Everyone!

I'm joining up with a new band and get to play bass again! YAY!

Anyway, my current board is a BB Preamp running into an Mosquite blender, just to dial in a touch of grit on my base tone. I would like to hit the next gain level but only currently have a Mastotron, and Geiger Counter. Both great pedals, but I need something a bit less "modern" sounding for this project. I absolutely loved the Amptweaker Bass TightFuzz, but alas it just couldn't cut in a band setting (lack of mid control). So I'm looking for a fuzz pedal with a 4 band EQ. Right now the only thing that comes to mind is the Aftershock, which honestly could replace all of my pedals haha (might not be a bad idea). Curious if you folks have any other suggestions.

Thanks,

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Much like basses, the answer is always more.

Maybe a good fuzz followed by a separate 4 band EQ pedal? I just got an MXR M81 EQ pretty cheap and the mid frequency sweep is the secret sauce. I use it as a stomp box for fattening up my bridge pickup soloed. Maybe something like that to go along with your favorite fuzz?

3. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    Yea that is an option I was considering before, but I'm looking for a bit more of a compact solution. Just curious if any fuzz pedals out there that with the EQ I'm looking for. Heck even something with a two knob parameteric setup would be awesome.

4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Electro-Harmonix Graphic Fuzz, anyone? Fuzz and 6-band graphic EQ. They've been re-issued.

Distortion pedal with sweepable mid control? The Boss Metal Zone! (there's still a heavy amount of 'baked in' EQ before the distortion stages)

5. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    The graphic fuzz is cool! Keep em coming! I'm checking that one out for sure!

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    There aren't many out there - you'd be better off finding a fuzz that sounds so good that it doesn't need anything more then a tone control (or maybe two), then maybe add a micro sized EQ pedal if you need it. Team Awesome Fuzz Machine is my go-to vintage style fuzz, also the FEA Photon II kicks serious butt.

Heard great things about the DOD Carcosa and the new EHX Russian Big Muff reissue too.

7. Two suggestions that might get it done. First the DOD Boneshaker might do the trick with the 3 band parametric EQ to allow finding the mid freak(sic) you want to goose. Then there are the Joyo Sound pedals that offer 3 band EQ and a mystery voice control that depending on which flavor does different things usually pregain. I have the California Sound and can coax a broad range of sounds from it from clean to mondo busto bright to dark.

8. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    What I should have done is kept the tightfuzz, and just put an mini EQ in the loop. I was a bit short on cash back then, so I sold it off. Might still be an option mind you, I really did like that fuzz. That is quite a bit of cash to invest in a single fuzz tone though. I see the GrayStache has a mid control on it.

9. JES

JES Supporting Member

Quadrafuzz?

10. Boy_Narf

Boy_Narf

Dec 19, 2013
    Holy cow that thing is a beast. I'll check it out!

JES likes this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021