1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fuzz with clean blend, $150 or less. Go!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jacoby75, Mar 26, 2015.

1. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    Hey gang,

I'm in the market for a bass fuzz that has a clean blend, but it's something I'd rarely use, so I can't justify spending a bunch of money. $150 at the most, but I'd prefer around $100.

Most importantly I'd like something with a clean blend. The obvious choices are the EHX Bass Muff (a possible contender) and the MXR (which I don't like from what I've heard online), but I figured I'd ask you guys if you had any other suggestions because there's always somebody on here who knows of something I've never heard of before.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

2. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    Team awesome fuzz machine, used market. Wren and cuff pickle pie b, used market. Ive never used the musket fuzz but ive heard its great too.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  3. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DMB Bumble.

However, I've never understood the need for a clean blend on a fuzz pedal.

jwr likes this.
  4. jacoby75

jacoby75

Mar 11, 2010
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Guitars, DR Strings
    As far as a clean blend goes, I don't want to lose the low end, as I've heard can happen in fuzz without a clean blend. Most people that I've seen who use drive live or in studio either run it in a loop and blend it, or use two separate amps - one clean and one dirty - or send a clean signal to the house as well as a dirty one for the engineer to mix them. I don't have a need for all that, but I figure a simple pedal with a built in blend might suffice, like the MXR M80 that I'm using for overdrive.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm appreciating clean blend a little more now than I was a couple years ago. Once distortion pedals started getting made to work with bass and not need a clean blend, I was all over it because tube amps cranked really loud don't have a clean blend. But with harder distortion, I think I pretty much need to have it for it to work for me. A pedal that's not out yet but should be out in April and I plan to snag immediately is the MXR Bass Distortion. It's a Rat clone with wet and dry knobs and what sounds to me in demos like tone closer to early Rats than yucky current Rats.

physics and allredtillblue like this.
  6. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    A good fuzz like a Stomp Under Foot Civil War or Wren & Cuff Tall Font Russian or Box Of War will have more low end than you can stand so they do not need a clean blend. Even with the Bumble I never used the clean blend, to me it just not sound right.

blindrabbit likes this.
  7. Diabolik.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, there's potential for the "bumblebees in the background" sound with a clean blend, and I sure wouldn't mind a fuzz that doesn't need one. But I've had 3 fuzzes with a clean blend now (early Team Awesome Fuzz Machine, Bass Fuzz Deluxe, Animato clone for those who give a rat's ass), and on all of them I've liked using the blend more than not using it. TAFM and BFD are usable without it, but I thought it worked in some extra character into the sounds I got that I liked. Also acts a bit as a governor on my overall volume with the pedal's different settings, which makes changes on the fly go a little more smoothly. But it's a very fine line between extra character and bumblebees, so you really have to work on getting that blend just right.

9. Used TAFM is the correct answer. Probably my favourite dirt pedal of all time.

Impermanence likes this.
  10. Two blenders and a Rolls sx21 gets you high passed everything blended back with all the lows left alone.

11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    That's one use for clean blend, but it's a crutch that doesn't fully solve the problem. If the fuzz circuit drops lows, you have to blend in a lot of clean to bring it back, and it then sounds like two separate signals unless there is a low pass filter or tone control on the clean side. Even then, you end up with compressed fuzz mixed with uncompressed clean, which can sound bad, making the clean tone really obvious.

I prefer fuzzes that maintain enough low end by default, then I use just a dab of clean blend to bring back some of the dynamic range that's lost when heavily compressing/fuzzing the signal, and to add back a bit of clarity and string growl. Used sparingly, it makes the sound so much better that a clean blend is a must for me.

I also recommend a used Team Awesome Fuzz Machine, mainly because the new ones don't sound as good!

12. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I'd go used market. The Musket is a great muff clone that goes for pretty cheap in the classifieds. No clean blend on it, but it doesn't need one.

Generally speaking I'm not a fan of clean blends either.

13. Check the IdiotBox Blasteroid. It doesn't need a blend. It doesn't need a clean blend. It actually adds lows in some settings. I've heard the Swollen Pickle and Megalith do the same but they are outside of your budget unless you go used or get a clone from someone.

14. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Megalith drops lows and is one of the worst fuzzes I've tried.

15. basslayer

basslayer

Jan 3, 2008
    Beaverton, OR
    jasonmitsch and hintz like this.
  16. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    MXR Fuzz Deluxe. $129 classic fuzz

Unemploid, Bassmike62 and KickingBass like this.
  17. Yep, it's a one stop solution for a single stomp dirt box. Not so great if you need to cascade a pair of dirt boxes, but I guess then two would do the trick.

jasonmitsch likes this.
  18. DieterVDW

DieterVDW

Sep 19, 2012
    Gent, Belgium
    Boss LS-2 + any fuzz/distortion.
    Also excellent to silently switch those annoying true-bypass pedals or mix any other FX-chain.
    It's the swiss army knife of pedal boards!

SunnBass and alecduncan like this.
  19. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    The Megalith has massive lows. Very subby type lows in fact. It's a very aggressive and saturated fuzz. It may be too harsh for some.

johnk_10 likes this.
  20. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I would recommend a Swollen Pickle though. It doesn't need a clean blend at all and can be had well under your price range.

SunnBass likes this.