Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fuzz?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Shauny, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Shauny

Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    im thinking about getting a fuzz effect next but i really dont know wot to go for as ive heard alot of them loose the bottom end, any sugestons? i was thinking about:

big muff (gona try out my guitarists on thursday to see wot that sounds like)

ibanez FZ7 ( duno how this sounds on bass but it would be cheap and would match my PD7 phat head lol)

ibanez SB7 (it has a nice fuzz effect that u can hear on the website and lots of cool other sounds that might be interesting)

does anyone have any thoughts or advice on fuzz effects for bass? alot of boss fuzz effects pedals apear on ebay aswell would these be a good idea with bass? i just need a general idea wot ones sound bad then ill probably buy the first one that comes up on ebay (im adicted lol)

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm the proud owner of a Guyatone TZ-2.
    Awesome little pedal, cheap price for a very harsh fuzz with plenty lows and ear piercing odd harmonics. It cuts through very well, too.

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    It's my belief that anyone who is just starting out exploring the world of fuzz should start out with an EH Big Muff. If you can, an American made one is best. It is a relatively cheap pedal- there's a lot of bang for your buck. This is pretty much the fuzz that all other fuzzes are measured against for bass. Many like it so they keep it, and others that decide not to keep it find that it is easy to sell. If you buy used is is easier to recover your investment. When you talk about fuzzes, it makes a good reference point because pretty much everyone has had some sort of experience with it.

Ted

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Big Muff Pi is pretty much the standard fuzz for bass. Start there.

5. Shauny

Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    wot model would u recomend? american or russian? the american looks much better thou so thats probably wot id buy but is there really a big difference?

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    My only problem with the big muff is that every one has one, so they give you that generic fuzz tone.

If you are looking for something a bit more unique especially in England, the guyatone would be good, also cheap the Danelectro french toast. If you are set on an ehx muff try the double muff as well, its cheaper and I found it better, still not great but better.

I personally have the Zoom ultra fuzz and the french toast and they are great, although I have just taken the french toast off my board as I am getting a Catlinbread Teaser Stallion. I also have the Ibanez SB-7, and its pretty good ccan do some good fuzz tones and yopu can add a bit of synth just for that extra little bit. Unfortunately it sounded to much like my Crowther Prunes & Custard so I've taken the SB-7 off as well. (Makes more room for the DD-20 I'm getting)

I've sent you a PM as well

Hope this helps

7. Shauny

Shauny

Feb 17, 2005
    Margate, Kent, Uk
    quick question about the double muff. is it basically the big muff with an extra mode or is it completly different?

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    From what I understand it's basically two muff circuits and you select one or two of them. Or something like that tplyons knows alot more about ehx pedals than me so hopefully he will give you the proper answer. But I didn't find the double muff capable of going massive fuzz tones.

Hope this helps

9. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Sometimes it takes years to find "your" fuzz, look at David Wilson and I - I have owned at least 14 or 15 fuzzes in the last 8 years. David has owned more fuzzes than Nelly has shoes...

Personaly, my quest for fuzz is never over - but curently I am diggin' the hell out of my Nick Nitro...

Booyakasha!..

Alex

10. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Hasn't dave had 14-15 fuzz boxes in the last 8 days let alone 8 years

:D :bag: :ninja:

11. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Quite, I loose count all the time...

12. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    good to see that my hours worth of recording clips didnt go to waste and that you have placed an order for the teaser, tayste. ill be interested to know what you think when you get it.

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Bought it second hand for about half of what they cost here in the uk, if you can find one, and I'll have it in 5-10 days.

Then I can record some sound clips for you.

14. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Big Muff is a great place to start. That Guyatone gets good reviews aaround here too.

Or if your a maniac that can't do anything half-way, like myself. You could get a Zvex Woolly Mammoth :D

Expensive, but worth every penny.

15. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Depends. The Mommoth was completely worthless for me.
    I think it trully sucks on a bass.

16. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
  17. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Really?? :confused: Personally, I've tried alot of pedals that truly suck w/ bass and this is surely not one of them.

However, Its definitely not for everyone. It is not subtle whatsoever...but if your after insane, almost synth-like fuzz with tons on low end it's the joint...IMO.

18. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Hey, me too!

But, like Alex said, it's such a personal thing. Also adding to the complexity are other issues such as:

a) do you play active/passive basses?
    b) do you require the fuzz be at a certain place in your signal chain?

Personally, the Woolly Mammoth wasn't for me. Mostly because it doesn't like active basses.

19. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah I was wondering about this actually is there anywhere interesting in the chain where you can put a fuzz like say after a delay or something or would that just be silly?

Obviously it would have to be something like the flying tomato but humour me will you.

20. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    hmm...good point, i've never used it with an active bass.