1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fuzzes that sound like the Nojs side of the Okto Nojs?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by radiophonic, Dec 18, 2018.

1. radiophonic

radiophonic

May 9, 2013
    ...but with more control over the gating. I have a Mastotron, which sound huge and offers a lot of gating control (bias and input impedance), but it's tonally a lot drier than the Okto Nojs. The Emma OTOH has a really 'fruity' harmonic quality that I've not managed to get anywhere else, but no gate control at all such that it's not much use as a regular fuzz and could also be tighter for synth use. Does such a thing exist?

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I have a Red Witch Zeus that has a pretty organic Fuzz and pretty Variable gate(sputter) control. It also has a very OC-2 like octave .

3. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    But the Zeus is more straightforward a fuzz. The Okto Nojs fuzz has some cool "burp" to it that pushes it into almost prunes&custard territory.

@radiophonic Maybe try a Tech21 Red Ripper or a Brassmaster style fuzz? The Ripper can do a decent Prunes impression, BUT the RIP knob can give it as much or as little of that quality as you may want - it's not a straight more-is-more though - more like a bell curve, you'd have to futz with it. But they're cheap and sound great!

Nunovsky likes this.