1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

fuzzrocious demon vs. amptweaker tight metal jr bass vs. ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DeeDeeKing, Sep 5, 2016.

1. hello there, this is my first thread, and first i want to apologize for my poor quality english.

I play with a pick in a punk-metal-surf power trio and i'm looking for a ringing mid-high gain distortion, with a lot of attack clarity and presence on the high mids without resulting harsh; fullness and bark on the lower-mids, and the right amount of low end without useless boominess or mud.

I owned and played several different pedals (vt bass, boss odb3, rat2, turbo rat, jacques tubeblower, AMT bass crunch, tc electronic vintage distortion, hughes&kettner tubeman, amptweaker tight drive, mxr m-80, DOD fx91 among others), and i never found the sound i'm after (turbo rat and h&k were the closest).
    Currently i use a darkglass vintage deluxe wich is a great pedal but not quite the kind of distortion i'm after (but still the better quality dist-od i've ever had until now).
    Last month i purchased an aguilar agro looking for more attack and presence but it's a bit too thin sounding from medium to high settings unless you lower too much the presence.

For what it's worth a youtube video review, it seems these two pedals would be very much what i'm looking for:

fuzzrocious demon

amptweaker tight metal jr. bass (from 9:49 on)

i like the demon 'cause it's strong in the lower mids but still has the clarity, presence and the arrogance i need in the higher mids; also it seems with the boost-gate option i'll have all the gain i need.
    At first i was impressed by the rat tail but maybe the demon is much fuller sounding and still ringing in the highs, isn't it?
    i like a lot the amptweaker too, but i'm a bit worried about being too scooped in the mids.
    Does anyone own these pedals and can compare the two?
    Suggestions and toughts?
    other pedals?
    thanks a lot

Last edited: Sep 6, 2016
    Sergi and Crystalman85 like this.
  2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    The Demon is indeed focused in the lower mids. The Cat Tail (the name was changed from Rat Tail in July 2015) is more high mids-emphasized and is brighter/clearer in its highs compared to the Demon. If you have any questions please feel free to email us!

BrentSimons, PWV and DeeDeeKing like this.
  3. thanks a lot
    i'll write you as soon as possible !

rratajski likes this.
  4. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    I'm a big, big fan of the Demon on bass. While I've been thinking of getting something more transparent-sounding for my current band, I'd still find a use for the Demon. It's definitely more low-mid than high-mid focused (for high mids you'd be looking at a Cat Tail), but you can push the voicing a bit higher with the tone knob.

DeeDeeKing and rratajski like this.
  5. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    You are in Europe, check out COG effects' offerings. The Knightfall is OCD/250 based as well, more flexible, probably easier/faster to get in Europe.

Also look at the Dunwich ODB and Volt Thrower. If you like the RAT sound, the VoltThrower is very hard to beat. The ODB is OCD based and also a killer pedal. COG also makes a RAT based pedal.

DeeDeeKing likes this.
  6. MGR

MGR Inactive

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Probably a bit OT, but I have a new Amptweaker Bass Jr Tightrock and it is so mid heavy that I find that I actually have to put it in "plexi" mode in order to not step all over my guitarists frequency range. The plexi mode scoops mids pretty drastically and the effect is much better in the mix. Now, I will say that when playing alone in my living room, the plexi mode sounds pretty bad, while the "normal" modes with the very pronounced mids sounds sooooooo much better. But in the band mix, the opposite is true. This is to say to the OP that perhaps mids are not the most important thing with regards to bass dirt.

JCooper and DeeDeeKing like this.
  7. MGR

MGR Inactive

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Maybe this pedal is what you need right now?

FranklynAmps Violet Rams Head with Mid control

This maker makes incredible stuff for the price. Since it has an actual mids knob and the price is so low, perhaps you should experiment with it to see what mids are actually doing for your sound. Then step up to a "better" pedal that has either a more or less pronounced mid profile.

DeeDeeKing likes this.
  8. @DeeDeeKing something to keep in mind is Ryan and Fuzzrocious will work with you to customize your pedal, he can offer many different custom options so you are urged to explore them all.

BrentSimons, DeeDeeKing and rratajski like this.
  9. tell me more about the tight rock, it's also in my wishlist! nobody talks about amptweaker.

10. they say it's a fuzz for 70s hard-stoner sounds..... i think i'm looking for something different.
    I experimented a lot with distortion in the past 15 years and i'm trying to avoid pedals i already know don't fit my needs :)

11. MGR

MGR Inactive

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    The tightrock is pretty much exactly like it is on that video. Incredibly articulate, capable of pretty extreme low end, no weird phasing issues with the distorted signal laying on top of the clean, versatile eq section, huge volume on tap. Basically it's like the thickest, most harmonically rich distortion pedal you've ever heard on guitar lowered by an octave. VEry different sound profile than a Darkglass, but still capable of that extreme mid cut. Can't say too much more than the video already shows. I bought it because of how different it is than my B3K and I pair it with the B3K for contrasting tones. I am surprised most people on here don't talk about these bass jr's. They really are special pedals. Once funds allow, I plan on buying all three.

JCooper likes this.
  12. thanks!
    I owned a bass tight drive without the dry low-end knob and it was a bit thin and flat sounding, i suppose the dry knob makes a huge difference. from the clips, i do like better the tight rock and the tight metal, it would be hard to choose between the two. Do you think it's possible to fix the midrange bump with the eq on the amp or on a preamp pedal, without being forced to use the plexi mode?
    Here in italy both amptweakers jr. and fuzzrocious pedals are impossible to find, so i must be happy with youtube clips, and i would say the demon seems to be even a little better than the amptweakers.
    can't still decide.

13. MGR

MGR Inactive

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    Yes, the dry low knob makes a world of difference.

Regarding the mid bump, I guess anything is possible with the eq on the amp, but that would really change your clean sound too. Don't be afraid of the plexi mode.......as I said before by itself it doesn't sound all that great, but it works in the mix perfectly. When you keep the Amptweaker on it's "normal" settings with the two switches in the middle, the very prononced mid honk actually gets very in the way of the guitar. Plus, even in plexi mode, it's not as scooped sounding as the Darkglass B3K, so you shouldn't really worry too much about that aspect. What I would do if I were you is simply listen to your ears and intuition. Since the Demon (which I owned) and the Amptweakers are so different, simply buy the one that sounds best to you. I will say though as a former Demon owner that I never had much success with that pedal in a mix. Others have different experiences with it and they love it in the mix, but I always found it a bit distant sounding and not very cutting. Also, the lack of a blend may end up biting you in the ass later on as the dry low knob on the amptweaker is a really important feature. This isn't to say that the demon is bad. I just never had the same sound with it on my P bass as in the videos online where it is much more biting and cutting. I just don't think I am a fan of the OCD sound overall, which definitely informs my judgement on the Demon, as well as the Bedlam or any other OCD based pedal out there.

DeeDeeKing likes this.
  14. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    You are looking at two circuits that are a little different from each other.

The Demon is a great take on the Fulltone OCD. It is a low to mid gain OD with a solid amount of bite. IMO it is a much better version of the original. As an OD, it has a little more in the mids than most distortions and not a sharp, hard clipping soundwave. This is a demo I did a while ago.

The Tight Metal Jr you posted isn't a bad sounding pedal. Its definitely more of a straight ahead distortion with a grindy buzz, scooped mids, and somewhat compressed attack. It sounds a little like a Boss DS-1 or Metal Zone geared towards bass. In a trio there isn't a big chance of you getting lost in the mix, but a pedal like that may cause you to disappear a little since you are making your bass sound a little like a guitar. If you are looking for a tone that will fatten up the guitar, a distortion like this is a good way to go, but if there are parts where you need to be heard by yourself, a distortion may not get you there. I like the sound of the Tight Rock and Tight Drive myself.

rratajski and DeeDeeKing like this.
  15. In fact, now the choice for me is between the tight rock and the demon.
    A demon with the boost-gate and the blend would be great.
    i'll keep on thinking about it for a while before buying one of the two.

16. it seems cutting from the videos.... not harsh or too bright but cutting.
    which kind of music do you play? fingers or pick?

17. is it me or the demon sounds more dynamic and the amptweaker more compressed?

18. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    A blend is a good idea for any drive pedal and bass. The nature of the bass and the frequencies it creates just don't lend themselves towards dirt pedals, no matter how well geared towards bass. The inherent attack and lows of a bass are great, but is the stuff in the middle that can cause it to vanish or sound bland if its playing by its self in a heavy situation. I use dirt pedals to fill in the gaps where an instruments natural tone is lacking.
    If you can't find a pedal with a good blend (and there are a lot of bad blend circuits out there) you can try a Boss LS-2. It wasn't designed to be used as a blend pedal, but a a "bug" in its design lets you do it.

DeeDeeKing likes this.
  19. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    That's the difference between OD and distortion. Overdrive tends to be a tad more dynamic and leaves more of your original tone in place. A good OD is reactive, which means the circuit clips (distorts) based on how hard you play. If you play light, it sounds more clean, and then when you dig in, it gets more crunchy. A bad OD like the Boss ODB-3 is the same no matter what. I also hate the blend on that pedal.

A distortion circuits have more gain, so they tend to eat up more of the dynamics in your playing. Distortion pedals are designed to emulate tube heads cranked all the way up. Technically this is a sort of compression because your signal is banging its head on the ceiling of the tube's "clean" range. Apsen Pittman, the former brains behind Groove Tubes explained it all to me once, but I lack the ability to repeat what he told me.

Bottom line: its not just you.

DeeDeeKing likes this.
  20. the odb3 is supposed to be a "bass overdrive" but it only squirts like a bad fuzz. Maybe the less satisfying pedal i've ever owned

socialleper likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021