1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fuzzz doom pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ambyyr, Jun 30, 2014.

1. ambyyr

ambyyr

Jun 30, 2014
    Hey! I'm 17 and recently in a band (playing bass of course). I was wondering if someone knew, or could work out, which bass pedal is used in the song Black Woods by the band Stoned Jesus. I have googled everywhere but can't find anything. Or if this is too difficult, could someone recommend a pedal that sounds really similar to the one used in that song?
    Thanks!

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Can you make my life easier and please post a link?

3. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Sounds like a typical muff to me. Not sure of the brand. Cool song.

ambyyr likes this.
  4. ambyyr

ambyyr

Jun 30, 2014
    Yeah sorry, should've posted it in the first place
    here it is

5. Mastodude

Mastodude

Feb 6, 2011
    Where in the song are you hearing fuzzy bass? I haven't thoroughly listened through the entire thing, but in the breaks with bass, I hear a clean tone.

6. ambyyr

ambyyr

Jun 30, 2014
    Just that heeeavy bassline, almost sounds like dubstep. It's kinda the whole song!

7. Mastodude

Mastodude

Feb 6, 2011
    I think it's just clean bass and fuzzy guitar, dude. Watch this live performance of the song; the bassist never kicks on a pedal:

Here are some pedal shootouts of pedals that might fit what you're looking for, played very doomily:

8. welcome!
    me like song! :woot:
    It could be just a really good overdrive pedal with some eq or muff. He's starting of with some hot pick ups and overdrive, I think. But I'm the world's oldest newb; I know not, only guess.
    Great cheap pedal for overdrive is the JOYO Ultimate Drive.
    happy gassing!
    f no rd !

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Agreed that just sounds like clean bass on the live clip, probably amp overdrive on the recording. But it would sound better with a bit of fuzz!

I recommend you search for a smallsound/bigsound Team Awesome Fuzz Machine. I play a similar style and have tried every fuzz I can get my hands on (including all in the pedal demo videos posted above) and nothing has toppled it yet! On low gain it's really furry and squelchy like a melting tube amp.

I run a Darkglass Vintage Deluxe for an always on slightly dirty tone then kick it into fuzz town with the TAFM when required.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  10. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Check out creepy fingers pedals. The builder is the bass player for Fu Manchu. His stuff tends toward doom tones. Plus he can custom build you exactly what you want.

jwr likes this.
  11. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Sounds like a muff to me. If you want a big Doomy muff sound check out Megalith by Mountainking Electronics. Very heavy.

12. Man, for the few tunes I listened to, Stoned Jesus are boring. That Dragonaut riff, over and over again.

13. OP, you know there is a doom section of TB, right?

I have no clue what he's using in the SJ record, but most players whittle it down to two different camps. In one side is the muff circuit love. On the other, is RAT power. I'm not saying to limit yourself, but there are so many offshoots, it'd be hard to not find something that works for you. Fuzz is also subjective. If this is you first dirt pedal, look at a bass big muff. It's a good starting point for us to make suggestions based on what you do and don't like about it. Of course, if you got the cash and want to go down the rabbit hole, nobody is going to stop you. There are many flavors of dirt.

Maybe check out bassfuzz.com. Lots of clips to check out there. Also, retailer prymaxevintage.com has lots of clips too. Be careful. Like I said, it can be a rabbit hole.

14. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    It sounds to me like at 46 secs or so the bass player kicks on a pedal to add some fuzz in. I could be wrong? That's what I think I'm hearing.

15. Mastodude

Mastodude

Feb 6, 2011
    Yeah, the TAFM is really a superb bass fuzz. If you're not willing to drop as much on a fuzz pedal, however, the EHX Bass Big Muff is pretty damn good, and you can pick one up off Guitar Center's used section for $50, or even the Deluxe BBM for $75.

Make sure you try one and like it; I ended up selling mine. It sounded great, just not quite as ridiculous as I like my fuzz to be. Would recommend, though.

16. Aninda Nahiyan

Aninda Nahiyan

Oct 29, 2018
    I think what you're looking for can be achieved in the studio or in a really big pedalboard by splitting your signal and processing the top end and low end differently. You need to split the signal and begin each of the routes with an EQ. There, you cut the top off on one end and the bottom off at the other. Now you process the clanky top end with lots of fuzz and the bottom end with some compression with a really slow attack. When you combine them back together, you get a big heavy bass tone with a gritty rough bitey edge to it

17. Maxfenderbass

Maxfenderbass Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2015
    Stratford, Ontario
    Muffs and Rats, EHX Green Russian or Mosky Black Rat are good cheap starting points.

18. Que porky losnos duos?

BOTH!
    Rat>Muff.

On the studio intro, I'm hearing a very faint hollow metallic-sounding delay-verb thing going on. I used to get that sort of thing with a flanger and all levels down except the feedback which would be cranked to just the point of feedback and then backed off a hair. Love that sound.

19. Ronald Poe

Ronald Poe

Jan 22, 2015
    I like to combine a BDI21(blend cranked, gain around 1'O clock to 3'O clock, and rest to taste) with a Bass Big Muff (with tone set low) and a Rat (set to taste) to get a good fuzz tone. I haven't tried it in a mix yet but it sounds heavy, slighly harsh, and very balanced. This tone is suitable for Extreme Metal (Doom Metal, Black Metal, Stoner Rock, and Grindcore) but I'm not possitive. Just try it (you can replace the Rat with a cheap clone). Currently trying to get a better fuzz tone that isn't expensive and cuts through the mix