Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FUZZZZ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thejoey57, Jan 18, 2006.

1. thejoey57

thejoey57

Jan 18, 2006
    Ok
    I'm a player who likes some fuzz
    I currently have an Ibanez TR series with a PJ style PU with passive electronics.
    I'm upgrading to a 4 string Pedulla Rapture (http://pedulla.com/html/rapture.html)
    with a single soapbar Bart. PU system (active)
    Well the fuzz pedal im using is a Zvex Wholly Mammoth
    (http://zvex.com/mammoth.html)
    Now this pedal sounds horrible on any type of active PU system
    What would you guys suggest?
    I've tried a big muff and a tweak fuzz, and they are more of a distorted fuzz not a true fuzz. What would you guys suggest?

Thanks, Joey

2. People who use active basses around here seem to like the Subdecay Flying Tomato Fuzz and/or the Guyatone TZ-2. There have been some threads covering this, try searching.

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    If I roll off the treble and volume on my bass down, my Woolly Mammoth works fine with my active basses. Might give that a shot. :)

4. microsynth square wave

5. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    There's a "brown"-something pedal out there that I thought sounded surprisingly Mammoth-like. It also had that Mammoth "pinch" effect gating.

What was it?? I read about it here, not too-long ago.

Joe

6. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i think thats the brown dog from chunk systems?

7. yes, i do believe thats a gated fuzz.

I think the sound of distortion/fuzz/od has alot to do with what amp your running. With my Gk head through a Hartke cab, my muff is very fuzzy and smooth. Through the same head, and a Warwick cab, its alot chunkier.

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    MI Audio Neo Fuzz
    MI Audio GI Fuzz
    Subdecay Flying Tomato
    Zoom Ultra Fuzz

Are just some of the fuzz pedals that are great on active basses.

I agree the WM is horrible on active

9. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    I imagine that the English Muff'n would sound OK with an active, it being tube-based and all.....

(Someone else will have to confirm this, cus I don't have an active :( . Yet)

10. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Prescription Electronics Depth Charge. Awesome on both passive and active basses.

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
  12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    This is the way to go IMO. I'm in the same position...Been playing an active bass more often and my Mammoth just dosen't sound good with it. I'm on the prowl for one of these...:ninja:

13. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    my bass is active and my zoom ultra fuzz sounds great with it

14. Duncan`s tweak fuzz didn`t work right with my active electronics. Sounded pretty much the same than Woolly mammoth with active electronics.