Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jackson0321, Feb 10, 2004.

1. jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    whats the least muddy most transparent fuzz pedal for bass
  2. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Well first off no fuzz is "trasparent" it would be against the point... But if you are looking for bass response check out Frantones Lo-Tone, David Willson has one... I am sure he'll be by soon...

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'm making the assumption that by 'transparent' you mean that it'll preserve the character of your bass sound i.e. your low end.

I've owned:
    Frantone Lo-Tone
    Chunk Systems Fuzz
    Depth Charge
    Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz

The Frantone sounded great on passive basses, but couldn't seem to handle the hot signal of my active basses.

The Chunk let's you blend original / fuzz signal to keep your bass low end. The fuzz itself wasn't that great.

Depth Charge is much more fuzzy, but can get raspy if you want it. I wouldn't call it transparent. People love it or hate it. Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it :)

So far, the one that works best for me is the Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz. It has the blend between original/driven signal, and has filter and harmonic switches which let you change the character of the fuzz sound. Sometimes I want a warm fuzzy sound (i.e. bass in chorus of Led Zep's 'No Quarter') and other times I want a real sawtooth type of sound to drive an envelope filter. I've been able to get this sort of versatility best out of the black cat.

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...HUBBA HUBBA...

5. Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    That pedal... whoa...

Who makes that thing??
  6. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    D*A*M a british boutique company. i had them custom make it for me.