1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FW Mixers - Mackie Onyx 1640i OR ??? & Comments...

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Colonel Monk, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Howdy all

My buddy and I are looking to upgrade our current equipment in our studio.

Mostly, we've been just recording our own band rehearsals and jams and the occasional official "take" as well as a few of our friends' projects...

But now we have decided to embark on this a bit more official and start a small business, focusing for starters on doing budget recording - live demos and the like.

I recently acquired a 24 ch Mackie SR24.4 board, but I've always been unhappy with connecting a mixer to recording interface and having multiple places to adjust channel gain. It works, but I just don't like it, and to go without a mixer is a pain for monitoring and outboard FX. Again, it works but it's not ideal, and I feel that it's not adequate by any stretch for a pro endeavor.

Now, we don't have pro budget yet, but we want it to sound "good"

I've been looking at the Mackie Onyx 1640i and I really feel that this type of recording hardware is what has been missing from digital recording all along.

A nice, full-featured mixer with a built in FireWire interface 16 in/out, as well as DAW access to aux sends and sub busses! :hyper:

And for only $1500? Sounds too good to be true, but I have yet to find a bad review. A few bad experiences with the first versions of ProTools to support it but that seems to have passed.....

LINK

I'd like to hear from anyone who is using one of these as I respect the opinions of my fellow TBers

I would also like to hear of other similar offerings such as the PreSonus StudioLive series... They are more expensive, but have alot of DSP built in....

On the downside, I don't want to navigate a software-driven interface on my analog gear if I don't have to. In this regard the Mackie really appeals to me, as the mixer does just what it would do if you were recording to analog.

Please, your thoughts.

CM