1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
     
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fwarg's Summer Build Thread

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Fwarginator, Apr 28, 2009.


  1. So a friend of mine who owns a well equipped wood shop was looking for a summer project. We started talking and eventually decided that we would build a bass over the summer. I bought Martin Koch's book a couple months ago, read through it and then lent it to my friend to read. He told me to start planning the design and such so we can start as early as possible in the summer.

    Anyway, my plans are as follows (these are subject to change, not set in stone yet:
    34" scale 5 string
    24 fret neck
    Alder body
    Quilt Maple top and headstock veneer
    Active electronics (specifics not yet decided)
    Black hardware

    Anyway, I started playing with designs, mostly drawing them in various notebooks, and i finally came up with a design I liked. So I took it home and scanned it into the computer. Here is where I hit a problem, I tried to start doing the scale drawing, so I made three lines (one for the nut, one for the 12th fred, and one for the bridge), put them so they made a 1inch:2inch scale, so in this case it was 17 inches from the first line to the third. Then I took my scanned drawing and put it on that line template. I took some measurements and it showed that the body would be about 21.5 inches long (which sounded rather normal), but around 14.4 inches wide, which seemed to be an inch or two wider than normal. Would this cause any major problems in the building?

    EDIT: Here is what I have thus far. I think the bridge may be fairly cramped the way I have this right now, so I may have to further lengthen the body somehow to get it to fit :meh: Anybody got a workaround?
    customscalework2.
     
  2. It's a start, but it's not quite there yet, imo. The EA of the body looks a little skinny compared to the DG half. I'm not a huge fan of the upper horn; generally, it looks fine but it just needs a little fine tuning to improve the flow and style.

    I'll be watching for updates!
     
  3. Yeah, I think it is. Here is a picture showing approximately where I wanted the neck to line up with the body:

    customscalework2-1.

    I will probably try to move both the neck and the little cutaway in the bottom down a bit, then see where I can go with the upper horn.
     
  4. Well guys, sorry for the lack of updates. My family's moving this week, so I have no computer access at home to work with the design. Come next week (or this weekend if I'm lucky) I should be able to put some more work in.
     
  5. I really like where you're going with the second picture. The main things that stand out are the top half still seems a bit skinny compared to the bottom half; and the top horn just doesn't seem to flow with the bottom horn. I like the way it is, straight rather than cut away, but the angle is just a bit off, IMO.
     
  6. Thanks for the input! I've been itching to get back to the design, but I'm stuck without any image editing software still, as our computer room is filled with boxes still! Soon as I'm back in business on that end I will try to get that horn to flow a tad better.
     
  7. I recently came back to this (man, settling into a new house takes one long time) design. I took out the cutaway on the end just to clean it up a bit and moved the neck down to try and balance it out a little more. However I still can't get the horns right. I can't seem to find a way to get them to flow without compromising the look of the design.
     

Share This Page