Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fx loop onr not FX loop ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NJXT, Jan 26, 2001.

1. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    If your amp/combo/preamp has a FX loop, which effects would you hook up between the bass and the amp, and which ones would hook up in the FX loop ?
    For example, I've got a Boss Bass Equalizer and a Flanger (both stomp boxes), where would you put them ?

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Bottomline, I don't like anything between me and the input jack. So, what little effects I use, I loop between the send and return and use my footswitch. However, one of yours is an EQ, and that's something I might want all the time or quite often if it isn't noisy. So, I could see that on the path to the amp if it was dead quiet.

3. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    So, if I haven't misunderstood you, EQ before and ALL the others (including multi-effects) in Loop ?
    I ask this because I'm thinking about getting some other effects (you know, that GAS thing ...)

4. rickbass

If the EQ doesn't introduce noise that bothers me or p.o.'s the guy at the board. Once my lows and highs are boosted and the mids are cut, I leave my EQ alone. I want it all the time. But that's my preference. Efffects like your flanger are different. I rarely if ever use it, so why have it on the path constantly? With lower end effects, I usually find the more inputs and outputs that get between me and the head, the more noise results and the weaker my signal gets, no matter what kind of cable I'm using.

5. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    This is kinda off track, but how do you use an effects loop? I know its a really stupid question but I know jack sh*t about effects.

6. rickbass

alx564: Not a "really stupid question" at all. You're quite smart to ask when you don't know. That's one of the great things about this site!

Since I find amps/amp models I haven't heard of practically every month, I'll preface this by saying, "this is how my heads with effects loops work" (but I haven't found any exceptions)- you plug one end of a cable into the "send" jack on the amp head - you plug the other end of this cable into the "input" jack of the effect/stomp box which is usually preset with the effect/effects you intend to use when you want to goose your sound- you plug another cable into the "output" jack of the box and the other end into the "return" jack on the head. The head jacks for this are clearly labeled "efx loop" or words similar to that. This way, you can use your foot switch, (which came with the amp head because it has an "efx loop"), to bring up the effect only when it is needed and not get any line hum or noise because your bass is plugged directly into the box instead of the amp. Many effects where high treble, distortion, et al, introduce an undesireable hiss or other noise.

Actually the loop is more elaborate on the heads I mainly use, Carvins, since they have 3 separate effects loops, including a split frequency full stereo. But what I've described is how the basic setup is.

When/if you actually use a head with the loop(s), using it becomes much clearer, (as with most amplification isssues).

7. funeralsalvation

funeralsalvation

Jan 28, 2001
    i would set it up"bass-eq-flanger-amp".most effects loops are desinged for use with rackmount or stuff with a lower output impeadence.boss pedals are designed to take a high impedance like bass pickups(50k for passive,10k for some active[emg?].plus if you set it up "bass-eq-flanger-amp",you only have to use two cables insted of three long ones.less cable=less noise.just dont use 10 pedals and you'll be fine in the signal loss dept.