fx loop, worth the trouble?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman60, Jan 10, 2002.

1. bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    is it worth the trouble to run all your fx through the fx loop on a bass amp or would it be better just to run them through the front. I use boss pedals and they have true bypass I believe, so will they effect my sound any if I just run them through the front or should I use the fx loop????
  2. boss pedals are FAR from true bypass (unless there some kind of custom jobs)... i believe all boss pedals should NOT be put in the FX LOOP ESPECIALLY not distortion...
  3. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    I also use Boss pedals and always run them through the chain to the input. I've often heard/read that fx loops are basically extraneous dookie...
  4. i believe they are better for rack effects.
  5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    he, he, he

instead of being wise like you, bassman, and asked for people's authoritative opinions, I tried an experiment. I a/b tested the same effects run into the input and into the fx loop. the fx loop is useless for stompboxes. it is used solely for either "semi-pro" or professional rack mount gear.

I like using effects (i only own two, tho), but i hate the "clean" sound (more like "lobotimized"). I wanted to see if the fx loop would just let me isolate the effect from my bass tone. putting stuff in the loop doesn't affect the tone of the bass, but it muddies up the effect to a state of uselessness.

I just thought of the idea of how to succesfully isolate the stompboxes while creating a usable sound. it requires an amp with two inputs, an a/b/y box with true bypass, and lots of cables...
    (i'm a real MacGuyver):rolleyes: ;) :D
  6. it really depends what you're putting into the loops. Some effects in the loop are major no no's. Distortion, wah, compression, and delay... they dont belong in the loop.
  7. Nikehawk

Nikehawk Guest

Jul 29, 2001
    Yorkville, IL, USA
    Alrighty then, I have Zoom BFX708 Pedal, and I run that throught the Effects loop on my Firebass II head. Are you telling me that I should put the pedal in the input chain (bass to pedal to input) rather than the effects loop? I use a chorus, fuzz, overdrive, and no fret (reverb:D) effects mainly, but I don't use them for entire songs. I switch a lot, and turn the effects pedal on and off with an independent effects loop footswitch. Won't my pedal suck tone if I put it in the input loop? Or can a pedal cause clipping if put in the input loop? Or should I stop crying and try all this out for myself? :p I need answers!!:p
  8. i would put it in the input loop if i were you... especially if using fuzz or overdrive.
  9. I agree with the distortion, wah and partly with the compression (it adds allot of punch) because they're effects that sound better when driving an input signal. But mix down effects such as compression, delay, modulation, reverb and eq have a more practical use in the effects loop.

WAKOJACO Guest

Jul 5, 2000
    Binghamton, NY
    The output levels of stompboxes to not generally jive with effects loops, which as mentioned above, are intended for semi-pro and pro gear. The pedals should go between the bass and amp.
  11. Fukking boll****e, all of it.

I run all my pedals through my FX loop now (distortion, phaser, delay, octave, tuner). Doesn't make a p!ss of difference, apart from the tuner (which not being true-bypass, still bleeds some ultra-low-level fart into the signal).

I can hear a slight difference with distortion (mainly 'cause in front of the input it's pushing the tube harder), but not much.

At least with FX loops the front input is free for cable or wireless.
  12. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I look at the effects loop this way.... anything that is in your main signal path to the amp is going to affect the raw tone of the bass in either a positive or negative way. In order to avoid this, I run as "pure" a signal as possible to the amp from my bass, which in my case means bass+preamp+cables -> amp. All effects go thru the loop because the loop can be turned on and off (at least on my amp) via a knob. Voila! Pure tone the rest of the time, effects when I want them.

Just my $.02....
  13. I just got a few pedals from EBS and, even though I'm still a novice it this, I've had better luck going through the effects loop of my Aguilar DB680. I've tried it both ways and found that neither was noticably better, if anything I got a cleaner signal going through the loop. I run two basses through the 680 and the nice thing is it has an a/b box that comes with it. I just put one bass down, pick the other up, stomp on the a/b box, and I'm set with the effects ready to go.:)
  14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The fact of the matter is that pedals AREN'T DESIGNED with proper output levels or impedance for amplifier/preamplifier effects loops. You can ultimately overdrive the circuit and cause damage to your amp by running cheap pedals through an effects loop. You may think it sounds great, but remember the price for that sound when your gear fries.

I have yet to see ANY effects pedal that is really a TRUE bypass. Some are better than others, but all effect the signal somewhat. I know for a fact that Boss, DOD, and Digitech pedals are NOT true bypass, and Zoom pedals are the worst offenders in my experience.
  15. there are some true bypass pedals out there... fulltone is one of them... and i think EBS might be as well...
  16. This sounds like a moot point.

ie to each their own