Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FX loop

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by bassman60, Jan 11, 2002.

1. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    Hi, I'm a bass player of about a year and a half and I am new to effects for bass. I have a boss bass chorus and am probably going to buy a boss phase shifter and was wondering what would be the best place to run them? Through the front (guitar+effects+input) or through the fx loop? If it will sound better or avoid some kind of muddiness in the signal then I will put them in the fx loop, but if it's too much trouble and probably won't do anything to my signal then I would just rather run them through the front. I was just wondering if you use effects or if you have any experience with them and what would your advice be on this. Thanks, and sorry for the long thread.

amateur rock bassist,
    Josh

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Josh,

it all depends on whether or not your amp is changing the sound a lot - if you've got a tube amp and are overdriving the sound at all at the front end then it'd probably be a good idea to put the pedals in the loop.

If your sound is a lot cleaner, then it probably doesn't matter.

certainly if you use delays or reverbs, they should be in the loop, but chorus and flange aren't so vital.

FWIW, I would probably put them in the loop...

cheers

steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. bassman60

bassman60

Jun 5, 2001
    What about a bass overdrive???
    I've been told they work better through the front.

p.s.-I play a solid state amp

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    yup, I'd put overdrive in front of the amp, chorus/flange etc in the loop, with delays and reverbs after it... compression can go in front of the amp too...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk