fx loop

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by axman, Jun 16, 2002.

1. More than likely this is a really stupid queston but what is the fx loop for on my GK 700rb? and how do you use it and should i run my grunge and compression peddles through this. and if so what will this do for me.
    thanks in advance. Ive only used combos before so i guess i dont what its for or how to use it.
  2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

There are different uses for an FX loop, but if you're going to use your pedals, run a cable from the "Out" to one pedal, then to the other pedal, then to the "In".
  3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

It is generally for effects. Some effects work very well in the loop, others don't. Compression and distortion, which you mention, don't work well in an effects loop. These should normally be placed before the amp.
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    An effects loop allows you to insert componants between the preamp and poweramp stages of a head.

Some are pre-EQ, other are post-EQ. Your manual should tell you where exactly the loop falls in the signal chain.

Distortion is certainly a pre-preamp effect. Compression can be used in either place depending on how you want to use it.

Effects loops are typically designed for use with rack mount effects or other effects designed to handle line-level signals. Using pedals in an effects loop can make for impedance matching problems. Although some may work just fine.

5. What effects work well in the loop i also have a multi effects pedal. however i dont use it becouse some of the effects dont sond that good.

the owner's manual dosent say how to hook up effects useing the send and return jacks. This is the first head ive owned.Im just trying to find out some info. So when or if the time comes when i need to use the fx loop i will know how to. thanks again :)