1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FX Mirage vs Demeter compulator...The Compulator stays..the Mirage goes back

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jibreel, Jun 5, 2007.

1. jibreel

jibreel Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I have been using the Compulator. It is a very nice compressor. As a result of always looking for " something better" , I ordered the FX Engineering RAF Mirage. It came today.

I do not have the patience to put it through a Bongomania in-depth test but I did A/B them both quite a few times. The compulator won clearly.

However, this is not to say that the mirage is not good. Perhaps some would say very good. Very clean. And as they say in the booklet: " you will not hear the compression mechanism reacting to attack, or pumping to increase sustain ". This is true. I wish the Compulator was like this.

To my ears, the Demeter is fatter and deeper. I also heard some minor almost " distortion like " noise artifacts when the Mirage compression was turned up.

So back it goes. I am only out shipping costs both ways.

I may try the Frantone Sandwich. If that goes back also, I will stick with the Demeter and rack mount.

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Aggghhh... I just minutes ago won a Mirage on Ebay. Fortunately I only paid half the new price, but still... Well, it will be worth reviewing anyway. It will be interesting to compare notes, since I'll be A/B'ing it with a Demeter as well!

3. jibreel

jibreel Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I just called Frantone and asked about the Sandwich Optical compressor. She said that this was a strong compressor so it would not be comparable to the Compulator or the Mirage. She suggested the Spudnik which is the simple two knob optical compressor. Sounds very much like the Compulator.

It goes for $ 250 and they are out of stock so I am just going to try to be happy with Compulator. Actually, I am really happy with it. I just want total perfecton:D

I guess it is time to up the learing curve and really get into the compressor in the fireworx.:eek:

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I just received my Mirage today. I haven't worked with it enough yet to write a proper review, but I like it! It is very transparent and low-noise.

I don't (so far) find that it is any less "fat" or "deep" than the Demeter, but it does sound different. It seems to me that the Demeter actually cleans up (or maybe "tightens up") my signal slightly- it sounds the cleanest, but when I A/B/C'd those two comps and my dry signal, the Mirage is the one that actually sounded the closest to the dry signal. So I'm saying the Demeter sounded cleaner than the dry uneffected signal! :eek: I agree that the Mirage has some tonal artifacts at the most maximum setting, but not at the less-than-maximum settings. The two major differences I note are:

(1) the compression ratio of the Mirage appears to be fixed at a low ratio like 3:1 or thereabouts; the Comp knob just seems to raise and lower the threshold. The Comp knob of the Demeter OTOH seems to control the ratio (with a very wide range up to maybe 20:1 or higher), with the side trimpot controlling the threshold. So the Mirage will be no good for slappers at all, but will be excellent for those wanting mild compression with the least possible impact on their tone.

(2) The Gain knob of the Mirage has "unity gain" around 9:00 :eek: so it is capable of an insane amount of boost. The Demeter's unity gain is closer to 12:00 or 1:00, which seems more "normal" for a bass pedal.

While I don't at all like the low ratio of the Mirage, the clean fat-yet-transparent tone is addictive, and slightly more "interesting" than the Demeter. The Demeter works better as a compressor IMO than any other pedal I've tried bar none, but it is slightly boring*.

I'll be selling one of the two within a week. Which one? :ninja: :ninja:

Jury's still out.

*Please note that "boring" is exactly what a compressor should be 99.9% of the time in professional applications. But I have a taste preference for the dirty-sounding squashers, and I'm no pro. :)

5. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I just opened up the Mirage, to see if there were any trim pots to adjust the ratio or whatever... The entire circuit is encased in a thick blob of industrial-grade black epoxy, sealed in black shrink tubing, and glued to the wall of the housing. The LED's are also secured with industrial epoxy. I better hope it never needs repair!

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i bet you sell the Mirage.

7. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Japan
    I just received my compulator in the mail yesterday, and I love how easy and smooth it is. I have an Eden Time Traveler Head in my combo and is has a one nob compressor which I've always liked a lot. The larger Eden head has a 3 freq/nob compressor and I've never really been able to figure out exactly what I'm doing when I turn the nobs, but the one nob is just so intuitive and easy to deal with, and it does everything I want it to.

I wanna say thanks to all the TBers who've posted about the demeter, especially bongo for helping me pick a unit that works just how I need.

Thanks guys.

Matt

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021