Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fx pedal shop in SAN FRANCISCO ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MMFender, Dec 1, 2004.

1. MMFender

MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    Istanbul,Turkey
    I am soon goin to San Francisco.
    Do you know any shop where i can go to buy vintage and
    nice guitar pedals. bass pedals of all sortts. help

2. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Rocker Guitars in on Howard St (South of Market) has a decent selection, but typcially new and maybe not the lowest prices. Also try Real Guitars, which is close to Rocker... their selection is more guitar-oriented.

3. alanwolf

alanwolf

Sep 22, 2004
    45 minutes north of San Francisco there's Bananas at Large in San Rafael. If you go to Muir Woods or the other Marin attractions, your 3/4 of the way there. They have a surprising selection of new pedals, but not many used. Especially since the rise of eBay, the better used places have vanished. Real Guitars (mentioned above) is worth the visit to see what they have in stock (hardly any pedals, mainly guitars, but a very nice selection and good people).

All in all, SF is very dissapointing in its choice of music stores. Enjoy your visit though.

4. pierce

pierce freethinker

May 25, 2000
    San Francisco, Ca

stop into Haight-Asbury Music, on Haight street. dont know how much selection they have, but you would meet TB'er Benjamin Strange

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
  6. funky71

funky71

Feb 18, 2004
    Haight Ashbury music has very high prices -- they generally tag gear at retail, not "street" price. Only go there to buy if you know the "real" price and are ready to negotiate, or else you'll get taken to the cleaners.

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Absolutely not true in the slightest. Yes, we do label most things at retail, but we do offer very competitive prices. And you most certainly don't have to negotiate with me. I'll give you a fair price the first offer.

:meh:

8. funky71

funky71

Feb 18, 2004
    ok, let me clarify. I have been in your store several times, and have purchased a few small things (strings, picks etc). Unless the customer is knowledgeable enough to understand how musical instruments are priced, including the margin structure, they will overpay at your sore in comparison to other, bigger stores. I understand that you will negotiate, but only if the customer initiates the negotiation (obviously), therefore an uneducated customer pays more at your store than, say, Guitar Center. I'd say about 15-20% more.