Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FX pedals / board / case - gauging interest, taking offers...

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by misterk73, Apr 12, 2003.

1. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I hate to part with these toys, but summer tuition is calling my name. Prices listed below are for reference only – they’re approximate retail prices pulled from a quick Internet search.

All pedals are like new and have lived their lives on a homemade, wooden pedalboard designed to fit into a turntable flight case. I used 3M Dual Lock to mount everything and custom-cut George L cabling to connect it all together.

I would prefer to sell the whole setup as a package. If you’re interested in that, I’ll ship everything to you mounted to the board and in the turntable case at no cost to you (Continental US only). If that doesn’t fly, I’ll be happy to field individual offers for individual pedals, but shipping costs will be your responsibility.

I’ll have pictures of the setup available after Wednesday night, when I next go to my band’s practice space.

Thanks, all! Please post or email with any questions!

1) Ernie Ball Mono Volume Pedal – $100
    2) Boss TU-2 chromatic Tuner -- $90
    3) EBS Bass IQ -- $235
    4) EBS UniChorus -- $235
    5) Fulltone Bassdrive 2 w/ power supply -- $199
    6) Akai Headrush w/ power supply -- $170
    PLUS
    7) Sadowsky Outboard Preamp* -- $200
    8) EBS AC power supply (powers up to four pedals) -- $40

Approx Retail Value: $1269 (not including pedalboard materials and DJ case)

*This is not the current floor-based unit. This is the now-discontinued “matchbox”-style one with a belt/strap clip. Works wonders for the tone of passive Jazz-style basses!

2. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Hey Brad,
    I just re-read the thread after your PM back to me, please ignore that reply of mine.

Just to be clear for everyone else, this is an auction right? You will let the high bidder know if they are eligible to negotiate with you?

Someone can 'offer' a price, and later on down the road you will let them know whether or not they can buy that piece, but... you don't actually have any prices set on the whole lot OR individual pieces right? And you aren't willing to sell individual pieces correct?
    No flame here, I am a bit confused. Can you clarify please? I am interested as my PM stated, but I don't want to 'bid' on the whole lot. Basically, how can I negotiate a price with you? Or is it even possible?

Thanks.

3. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    No worries. Clarification is a good thing, and I'm really sorry if I seemed coy about anything. Maybe I rushed into this listing a bit, for which I apologize. I certainly haven't spent a whole lot of time researching the value of this equipment, new or used, as is probably evident to you after our PM exchange about the Sadowsky preamp.

Basically, I need tuition money and these pedals are some of the only expendable things of value that I own. As I thought I made clear in the original post, I would prefer to sell everything together -- it's a helluva lot more convenient for me -- but will certainly consider breaking everything up if worthwhile offers are made.

What's a worthwhile offer? Considering the condition of these units -- they've obviously been stepped on, but have always been kept in a box or a case and have only been gigged with about five times -- I'd feel OK about letting them go for, say, 75% of retail price.

If you've found that Sadowsky preamp new at the price you mentioned, then your offer is about right. I would, however, like to wait and see who else has interest, hopefully in the whole batch.

So, how about this: First person to offer 75% of a verifiable retail price on any given piece is guaranteed the sale, assuming I can't find anyone to buy the whole shebang by next Thursday (April 24?). I'll also be willing to sell the complete set, shipped on board and in the case, for ... let's say $825. I'll consider less for the complete package or for individual pedals, but I don't really have the time, energy, skills, knowledge, or desire to play any negotiation games.

Does that all make sense? I'll post pics on Wednesday night...

(Am I going about this all wrong or what? Commerce just ain't my thing, I guess...)

4. Don't mean to start a debate or anything but 60% of retail is the usual going rate for used items in my experiance. 75% of list is what I would expect to pay for a spankin' new piece(i.e. I spent $160 for my new Headrush.) Don't want to stir the pot, just trying to be helpful. Good luck with yer sale, some great boxes there?

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Definately. I can get the Fulltone, brand new, out the door, for just under $150 from my local Fulltone dealer. I was just about to buy that very pedal this week, however, if you would take $100 shipped for yours, let me know.

6. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Seriously, I appreciate the input from all three of you. All I'm after is a fair price for some nice used gear -- if 60% is a legit used price in the Talkbass world, then so be it. (And how can you not trust a guy like Mad Subwoofer with over 1,700 Talkbass posts?)

I do think, however, that I can probably do better than 60% of list in the less-savvy eBay world -- chock full of ignorant folks like me, I guess -- based on my own experiences there. Accordingly, I'm going to temporarily cancel my Talkbass sale and offer up everything on eBay with a reserve of 75% of retail.

I will, however, post whatever doesn't sell on eBay here for 66% of the best retail price I can find. (The "extra" 6% will be to defray/cover packaging, shipping, and insurance costs via USPS.)

Again, seriously, I appreciate everyone's input. I guess there's always something new to learn here at Talkbass ...

7. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    lush, thanks for the clarification.
    If you want to get MAXIMUM price for your gear which is evident, you need to be VERY patient and sell each piece seperate.

If you are asking someone to buy the WHOLE LOT at once, you better be prepared to offer a huge discount, otherwise what is the incentive?

BTW-75% of reatil isn't even a 'good' deal for brand new gear. Not when you are professional gear buyer and not after years of establishing relationships with stores/persons.75% is very 'every day joe price' for new gear and your gear is used.

Unusual or not, I (and many others) usually pay 2-10% above dealer cost. 10% being ABSOLUTE max.

Ebay seems like a good option for you, hopefully you will find some 'less than savvy' person willing to pay your asking price. People never cease to amaze me on Ebay.

Best of luck with your sale.
    Cheers.

8. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks, man. I'm going to see how it goes on eBay, selling piece by piece, and whatever I can't unload there will be offered up to the Talkbass gearhounds at sacrifice prices...

9. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    BTW- I didn't mean to sound righteous if I came across that way.
    'Value' is in the beholder and the seeker. Just because someone 'asks' or 'pays' what I consider 'too much' , certainly doesn't make it so.

The rules of the Talkbass Forum classifieds point out that any person has the right to 'ask' WHATEVER price they see fit, and it is not appropriate for other sellers to post links of 'lower prices' etc. etc. I honestly agree and respect that rule though I often see it disregarded.

School tuition isn't cheap, I hope you get your money's worth from your gear.

Cheers.

10. Darn, I was going to express interest in at least two, possibly three of the pedals you had on sale.

:(

Good luck on Ebay though! :cool: I understand the tuition fees though, I'm having to suffer them best I can at the moment too.

11. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    No perceived attitude -- I'm not someone who gets offended by being told how it is. Fact remains, though, that I need to get every penny I can out of this equipment. I now realize that Talkbass just isn't the best forum for me to do that. I'll let you know if that preamp is still around in a week or so!

12. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    ill give you $50 for the boss tuner i checked a musuicians friend mag and it was 79 new. thats a little less than 75 percent but more than 50 percent which is what used gear should be sold for

13. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Everything's going up on eBay first. I'll be back with whatever doesn't sell there for the Talkbass fire sale. If the tuner's still available when I do, you've got it. Give me a week...

14. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    BTW, eBay was very good to me. Everything sold at Buy-it-Now prices that I feel pretty good about -- most within 24 hours of posting. I may be back, though, to offer up a Hamer (USA) Cruise Bass 4 w/ 2TEK bridge. Thanks to all who took an interest in this "sale" -- it may sound weird, but I learned a lot through this experience. Cheers!

15. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Hey Brad,
    I thought you were going to try "75% of retail" on your gear? At that price the Fulltone I just bought from you on eBay would have been about $150 (It retails for $199.99). If you would have counter offered it to me here, at the $115 B.I.N. price I paid you, you could have saved yourself a listing fee.

Oh Well. :confused:

16. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    I'm going to take a guess that there has been some confusion as to the difference between list price and sale price. 75% of the regular selling price isn't bad but 75% of the list is very bad considering most stores sell their product in the 60-70% of list range. I expect to pay around half of the list price for a used product in good shape.

17. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Well, I did lower my expectations some after the conversation here. For the most part, I figured BIN prices of 75% of retail minus a few bucks. Re: the Fulltone, I found a local shop selling one new for $160.

Basically, despite fees, eBay was for sure my most convenient option and -- perhaps just as important, if not more so -- the one I ended up being most comfortable with. It was worth it to me to clear everything out in 24 hours, no muss, no fuss.

Also, re: the 75% thing -- not to nitpick or anything -- but didn't you say you had a local shop that could get you out the door for just under $150?

Ultimately, I'm happy with the sale -- and I hope you are, too -- and that's all that matters to me right now. Peace.

18. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Probably some. Alas, I think the discrepancy between MSRP and actual sale price also contibuted...

19. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Right. But I gave up on yours since I figured you were going to ask around $150 (75% of list/retail) used for it. When I stumbled upon it for the $115 B.I.N., I didn't even realize it was you until I came back to this thread (I knew "lushfreak" sounded familiar for some reason :oops: ).

Plus yours is the original Bass Drive. My dealer said he didn't think the Bass Drive II sounded quite as good and that would be the only one I can get new.

20. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I watched this thread for a little while at the beginning, through all the pricing discussion, and all wish I'd followed it a little closer! If that price had been offered up for the Fulltone here, I'd have jumped all over it!!
    Congrats PB!!!