Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FX25 for DUB... users see here

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jeff Moote, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    If any of you who use the FX 25 in a dub setting for fattness, would you mind recording a sample, because I'd like to see just how fat it gets.

I know mad sub has one, anyone else?

2. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    *bump*

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Go listen to any record with Bill Laswell and you'll hear it.

4. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    thanks, now anyone mind turning me on to what he played on?

And member samples are still wanted...

5. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    ah c'mon, don't any of you wanna help?? ;)

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Try Materials' "Hallucination Engine". It has Bootsy and Jonas Hellborg on it too, so theres something for everyone.

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Go to CDNow or Amazon or wherever and do a search on "Laswell" or "Material".

The whole FX25 craze started because Laswell mentioned in an interview that's what he uses for his dub tracks. Before that, everybody harted that pedal because it didn't sound like a MuTron III.

8. I use the DOD a fair bit on some of these tunes; http://www.newmusiccanada.com/genres/artist.cfm?Band_Id=7444
    From about 3.30 to 4.20 on "Struggle" I use it, the rest of the time I am running clean. The skanks are done with a Mutron III+ on HP. Check out "Transonic" where I use it all the way through, except that is a Korg G5 towards the end.
    I actually sold mine because of the piece of s*** that it was then ended up buying a new one in hindsight. I couldn't gig w/o it now....funny,eh?

9. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    That's what I wanted mad sub, thanks :D

BTW, I really like your band... good. You're bass, drums, keys/synth right? I know of a good semi local house/breakbeat band with the same config. I'd say you should check them out just for their bassist (he likes effects too ;)) www.thenewdeal.ca

10. Thanks pal! Wish we had better luck in getting gigs in our stupid town. This be a serious dead zone at times....I don't get it. we're entertaining and progressive....hard to get any press. Hard not to end up a little bitter when you work so hard on something, all for not. I'll check out that link, thanks.

11. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    MS, I just listened to your tunes... most impressive! Are any releases in the works?

I am a HUGE fan of the New Deal... their bass player is just sick, sick, sick (so are the other guys, too!). I saw them at the Bowery Ballroom in NYC two weeks ago, and they blew my head clean off. I danced like a maniac... Can't wait to see 'em again next month!!!! :D

12. Thanks for the compliments guys, I appreciate it. We recorded that material a while ago. I am packaging it up for distribution and will be giving it away (+postage) for free just to get it out there. I'll let you know...
    I just checked out that "New Deal" and they are very cool indeed. I am *not* that much of a house fan mind you but still thought it was fairly nifty.
    Check out a Vancouver duo called I/O if you can...raw, loud drum 'n bass style produced live; allot of fun. These two can ROCK as well as trip out...very entertaining.

13. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check 'em out!

14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I really liked you stuff too Mad Subwoofer! Very cool!!!!

15. Geez...thanks you guys! *blush*
    :p

16. man...I gigged out last night for the first time w/ my new EB-MM 2x12,1x6" cabs and a fresh battery in my DOD. What a sound....huge, blossoming pillow of subharmonic bliss. Those little patchouli girls and their stinky dreads were squirming. I had my little Mutrons all lined up in a row and I didn't use 'em? The DOD was all I wanted....hmm..this isn't good. $500 worth of 'Trons beat out by a $25 FX25. that DOD produced some absolutely mind-numbing lows...wow.

17. heh heh
    Rasta-Groupies!

you know that presents my arguement that effects don't have to cost a ton of money to be any good.

18. I swear BF...I have all the sleaziest, funkiest FX you could ever want and yet, I think I could seriously get by in this dub band with just the FX25. And my Akai Headrush. And my P+C. Maybe an octaver.....
    :p

19. Well heck, turns out you can see 'em RFN! Geez..I love the CBC. Check this out!! My tax dollars at work;

http://www.justconcerts.com/concerts/concert.cfm?Concert_Id=27&Act_Id=51&Concert_IsLive=True

So cool.

20. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly