1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FX25 on the way

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kesslari, Sep 30, 2008.

1. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    I've got a DoD FX25 on the way...

[​IMG]

BTW, curse you all for starting me down this dark and evil path...
    but thanks for the sound advice.

2. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That's the same model I have.

If you don't already have a compressor, you'll want to get one. I love that pedal but it kicks out some nasty spikes, especially when the filter is just starting to open on the low end.

3. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Dang potato chips. So you're saying now I need some dip...

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    You can certainly use it without a compressor. I know some TBers (markjazzbassist comes to mind) are very against putting a compressor after filters. They feel like the it takes away the character.

But personally, I took the FX25 to one band practice without a compressor and won't be doing that again. At home with a practice amp is one thing. At rehearsal through my real rig is something else entirely, especially for my drummer who plays right next to my amp.

It's not the Frostwave Funk-A-Duck (man that thing was ear piercing) but it cranked out the second loudest volume spikes of any filter I've used.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm a big preacher of FX25 + compressor = better. Ideally a comp with a high ratio.

6. kesslari

Dec 21, 2007
    Brown Truck delivered the FX25 today.
    Kermit-the-frog green.
    I'm very pleased with the sounds - just easy messing got me some very quacky wet sounds and a very "Jerry Garcia" (set the range fairly low) sound as well.

Guess I now have "effects" - FX25 and DL4, with an old CE2 (cheap from my guitarist, who no longer uses it) on the way.

7. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    i dont agree that you need a compressor for it.

those peaks are what make this thing spit funk in the mix..it feels sterile when compressed, but i could see why youd want one.