Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FYI DYI Sub Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by VicDamone, Feb 11, 2004.

1. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    100 watts for $400? Not a terribly appealing item for the DIY bassist, IMO.

2. I believe that says 1000w.....well, 512 @ 8 ohms, 1024 @ 4 ohms.

3. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Oops . . .

Um . . .I didn't have my reading glasses on . . .? :rolleyes:

That is actually rather an interesting deal, once I actually read it right.

4. That low pass crossover means it won't put out anything over 200 Hz, right? doesn't seem like useful bass amplification to me....

5. =^..^=

=^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    My rig is bi-amped with the cross over set at 95hz so just the rumble goes through the 15" cab.

Under 200 hz would be fine for a sub

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Those sorts of amps are usually aimed at Home Theatre, but 100-200W is usually enough to most homes. But with 1000W, I'd use it for a powered PA sub, something like the Mackie........

7. I guess i just don't see the point in having a separate 1000w amp just for the sub woofer section and running another amp for the 200+ Hz freq's. why not use one 100w amp and a crossover to split between two cabs? i guess my point is if you're going to have to buy another amp anyway, why bother with this one?

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I wonder what would happen if someone who knows about these things by-passed the crossover. It will turn it into a full range amp but how would it sound?

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Pete, over here we can get a brand new Carvin DCM-1000 that is 1000 watts bridged into 4 ohms in a tidy 2U package for less than that amp at partsexpress.com... About $382US including shipping total.

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You're Joking......... you're not buying anything for that price over here.

But it's 2RU. The reason I asked is because of the increased popularity of powered PA speakers. Someone asked me to help him make a powered vocal PA and we couldn't find a suitable amp anywhere.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I looked at the Carvin site and saw that they make a 240 Vac, 50 Hz version of the amp (same price as far as I can tell) for use outside North America. I have no idea what shipping would cost to Australia. The amp weighs right around 10Kg.

With a roll or two of gaffer's tape to tape it on the back, you could use one of those amps to make a powered speaker. :D

There is a company named ILP that makes a family of power amp modules. They originally came without power supplies, but now it looks like all you need to do is add a mains transformer. I just did a google search and came up with this link...

http://www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/kits/ki-hy2000.htm

Have fun!!!

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thanks Bill. You're da man!

13. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    It looks like a Wago or Phoenix Contact type terminal block. Any industrial electronics supply house should have them... If you can see the end of the green plastic terminal block, there should be a company name and the model number molded in the plastic. Sometimes its very hard to read.

You buy them by the number of pins in each section of the terminal block and the pieces just push in next to each other.