Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FYI: New Yorker, new combo from Acoustic Image

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Bob Gollihur, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    FYI, Acoustic Image just announced this new amp.

Essentially, it's a Contra completely contained in the existing cabinet alone, and it weighs only 23lbs. It's a specialty amp that was designed with the New Yorkers in mind, and others that need to travel as light and compact as possible.

Acoustic Image hasn't updated their page, so I've added some images and info to my site:

Acoustic Image New Yorker, as pictured on my web site

It is expected to be available mid-December.

2. Looks very cool, Bob. I assume it has identical features and sounds just like the standard Contra?

I plan (someday) to get an AI, but I think I'd prefer the Contra because it would have easier access to the knobs. This New Yorker model looks a lot sleeker, though.

3. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    Hi Bob

How do you think the New Yorker would work for 4-string electric bass. About the same as the Contra? Maybe better? I guess I'm asking if the new design makes it any better for use with an electric bass...

James

4. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Whoa. Nice looking box, but talk about sticker shock.

5. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I would expect it should be close to the current Contra Series II model. It's essentially the same thing, but with the new neodymium magnet woofer (saves 5 lbs.) and the new lightweight power section.

BTW, all the Contra and Coda models now also use the new neodymium magnet woofer and are 5lbs. lighter than the originals.

6. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    hi bob,

only thing is, i haven't tried the contra series ii on e bass.

so in your opinion, would the new yorker be good for e bass at all?

j

7. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Bob
    Any word on when the high power Clarus is coming out?

8. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    The prototype is due by the end of this month, and depending on its status, they could be available as early as mid-January, but that's not a firm date.

9. I realize all of this discussion is quite speculative, but what can you share in terms of AI's anticipated power numbers for this amp?

10. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    600 watts into 4 ohms, won't drive 2 ohms like the original Clarus. Probably 350 into 8 ohms, things aren't finalized enough to go beyond that.

11. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Great post Bob. You are a GOD!
    (and well informed) Thanks

12. Excellent - I will definitely keep an eye out for that amp. Thanks for the info! :)

13. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I was disappointed to see not only the MUCH higher price on the NYer but the loss of the notch/hi-pass filter as well.

14. I didn't notice the lack of the filter, but I had to do a triple-take to make sure I was reading the price correctly. Kinda rich - I just hope the high-power Clarus isn't as steep.

15. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Frankly, I see a limited demand for the NYer give the somewhat modest savings in weight and size.

The latest Acoustic Image combos now have a Neodymium woofer, which shaves 5 lbs. off the original weight of the Series II (I can't hear any difference between it and the original woofer) so the weights are now not that far apart. The 3+" height difference is not that great, either.

I think the name of the unit speaks to its intended audience. There will be those players lugging bass and amp who will feel the difference is worth the premium.

16. I'm confident that if I got my hands on one I would immediately start calculating ways I could pay that premium!

For the benefit of anyone who may think I was doubting the value of Acoustic Image and/or doing business with (All Hail) Bob, I currently use a Clarus and bought my Contra from Mr. Gollihur himself. Bob can definitely expect some pestering from me once that high-power Clarus ships. :)

17. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    So Bob what IS the weight of the Coda and Contra now? I went to the AI site and it says 26 lbs. Is this with the Neodymium woofer? I couldn't find the weights on your pages either.

18. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    I just put the Contra R (with Neo woofer) in the next room on my freight scale, and it is 27 lbs. The reverb unit doesn't weigh much, but that would indicate the Contra is 26+ lbs.

I'll have to update my site with the current weights.

19. Bob Gollihur

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    FYI, I got a couple New Yorkers in and popped one out of the box to play.

I really can't hear any difference between it and the regular Contra. I A/B'd them side by side with flat settings; obviously not a blind test, but if there is any difference it is subtle. The sucker is small.

Speaking of small, the head from the New Yorker will be available as a separate unit in about three weeks. Called the Clarus SL, it weighs 40 ounces!! 250 watts! More specs to come.

[​IMG]

20. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Well that is interesting. Any idea of price Bob? The New Yorker price is definitely a New York price and I think most people will the price diff is too much of a premium.