Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FYI - Ordering a Carvin

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jakepaul1, Aug 6, 2004.

1. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    Well, I don't know if I'll do it, but I have the hankerin' for a Carvin!

Anyway, I called to ask them about payment options. I didn't want to have to put down the full payment if I didn't have to. The rep there(Sean, pretty cool guy) said that I would just have to put 10% down on a regular catalog order(it's 50% down for special orders) and then pay the balance when it's done - cool! I figure alot of you already know this, but wanted to pass it on to those who weren't aware.

Also, he mentioned that the new catalog is coming out at the end of this month(August) and that there will be a price increase. So, it looks like I've got some deciding to do! :meh:

2. ironfist

ironfist

Feb 5, 2000
    Another increase? I thought they just upped their prices a few months ago.

3. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    Didn't know about that, but that's what he said. I think Aug. 31st is the date of the increase/catalog drop...

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

They keep sending their catalog to me periodically, even though I haven't bought anything from them for a few years.

Are they still doing that "50% off options" on bass upgrades ???

5. What kind of Carvin are you looking for? I have a Bunny Brunel 5 w/ the Bartolini NTMB preamp and pickups for sale on the 'Bay. Awesome instrument for WAY under what it'd cost to get at Carvin.

6. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    Yeah, they're still doing the 50% off all options, but I don't know if that will end this month. I doubt it will end, since they're increasing the prices overall...

7. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    Thanks, Mike. I would love a BB, but I'm wanting to stick with 4-strings for now...

8. Cool, cool, whatever floats your boat. Generally people say that the electronics and pickups are the weakest part of the Carvin package (although some like the way they sound). I'd recommend getting the upgrades done though.

9. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    Thanks for the advice. I've heard that about their electronics. Is it the 'P'(ie BB70P) package that you'd recommend - the one with the piezo p/u?

10. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Just as an FYI there are also other options besides the ones that Carvin Publishes. I found this out by seeing a very cool bass in one of their catalogs that I couldn't figure out what it was (it was just laying across one of their Red Line stacks in the amp secton of last year's catalog). I called them and found out that it was a Claro Walnut Series bass with the walnut covering the full face of the instrument (all of the CW and 50th Aniversary curly/quilted maple have just the body wings covered so the striped neck shows through.) It made a HUGE difference in the look of the instrument (for the better IMHO) and was an unpublished, no cost option at that. So if you have any ideas or have seen something you like but can't figure out the options, talk to them and see if they know of any how to make it happen.

Good luck on the plans, every time I've considered Carvin I've optioned myself out of my own price range... GAS, it's a terminal disease...

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Honestly I would not get the "p" option. If I were you, I'd get dual J99's and leave it at that.

12. For some reason I thought they had a pickup and electronics upgrade option, but upon closer look I see they don't. Maybe get it done as an aftermarket mod, just make sure that the dimensions of Carvin's pickups are such that you can fit in the upgraded pickups in the pre-existing routs. As far as the piezo... I don't know much about what that will add to the sound of the instrument.

Good luck with the GAS.

Just so you know though, I'm selling my BB-75 because I bought a Lakland Skyline 55-02 which is proving itself to be a much superior instrument. However, it was more expensive than the used Carvin. However, since you're buying new, the prices are quite competitive and I'm almost positive that a 44-02 would make you much happier.

13. jakepaul1

jakepaul1

Jun 30, 2004
    USA
    LOL! :D

Yeah, the only cure for my GAS is my wife giving me a hard time. It's a temporary remedy. GAS is worse than "Car Fever" IMO...