Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FYI - Peavey Bass Owners

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ItchyBass, Mar 19, 2002.

1. ItchyBass

ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    I will admit it, I own a Peavey bass, and I love it. Granted, it is really a Modulus with the Peavey name slapped on it (B-Quad 4), but a Peavey nonetheless. I have also owned a Foundation (as a backup bass) and a Cirrus 5 string. I have always loved the playability, but hated the electronics! They are to tinny, sterile, and way to hot!

Well, I just received my shipment (from T.J. Wagner, THE Bartolini sales rep located in FL) of Bartolini, TL-4 replacement pickups. They are a direct replacement for the VLF pickups used in all of Peaveys high end basses (Cirrus, G-Base, B-Quad) over the last few years.

So, if you have a Peavey Bass and like the way it plays... make it sound good! Hell, they are Bartolinis, make it sound incredible! They are a touch on the costly side, but again - they are Bartolinis (they are also the only company that I was able to find that actually makes a replacement for the VLF shape)! They can be ordered as 4 string (TL-4) or 5 string (TL-5) replacements.

If you don't have a Bartolini dealer near by, call T.J. Wagner (Tom). (386) 517-6823. He is super helpful.

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I personally think that Peavey has a good thing going with the electronics of the Cirrus & Millennium series. I 've never tried a B-Quad so I can't speak from personal experience. I have communicated with a few B-Quad owners as I was considering buying one at one point but the electronics have never been a problem area to the Quad owners that I have spoken to.

If the upgrade was more to your liking, I'm happy for you. As for me, I'm not touching my Millennium or Cirrus! ;) They both sound great as they are.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm with Boston Charlie on this one. The VFL's in my Cirrus 6 sound killer, darned near as good as the Barts in my Zon. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

4. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    I'm not perfectly happy with the frequencies they chose as centers for the tone knobs on the Cirrus, but I agree with M-belly, great pickups! No need to change those...

5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Boston Charlie! :D That's a good one Jeff!

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

:D

Oysterman, my Cirrus has the Millenium preamp(variable mid) and gives me tons of flexibility. You could get a Bart 3 band preamp and slap it in there.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Yeah, I am perfectly happy with the electronics/pups in my Cirrus. Taking them out would probably take away the signature tone that it has, which I personally (along with a lot of other people) like alot.

8. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I have a Peavey Dyna-Bass Unity Series neck-through body with active P + J pickups, ebony fingerboard, and flamed maple sides. I still use it a lot, I have had it for about 12 years and have never even touched the truss rod, the action is still perfect.... I have had many other basses but I always end up picking up "old-faithful"....

9. ItchyBass

ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Glad to know Peavey has support for their pickups... Personally, I don't like the tone which is why I have been searching high and low for replacements that would not force me to attack my bass with a router. I found them through Bartolini.

I will say that while the B-Quad does use identical pickups as the Cirrus (at least at the time they made the B-Quad), it used a very different preamp. It was only 2-band (bass & trebble), and had (IMHO) inadiquate mids with no adjustment cababilities. The Cirrus I had was better with the 3-band EQ and a woodier tone, but still not what I wanted.

So, if you are like me and love the playability of your VLF loaded Peavey, but are not happy with the tone... Bartolini is about your only answer out there (and a damn good one at that)... Unless you like playing with routers.

10. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    You know Itchy, the Quad owners that I talked to really liked those basses. A couple of them complained that the preamp was a little confusing until they got the hang of it. Other than that, all of them were pretty satisfied.

The VFL pups are different sounding than the Barts that I've encountered. If you're a Bart kind of guy and you didn't have to do damage to your axe, it sounds like a great option. Thanks for posting the information even though I don't plan to change my pups on the Cirrus. I do have a Fender Jazz fretless that I'm thinking about making some changes to and knowing that T.J. is around gives me another option. It's nice to have options! ;)

11. COOL!

I really love the playability of the Peavey Cirrus and Millenium basses, but I've always felt that the electronics were the weakest link of the instrument.

Personally, I really like Bartolinis. My Lakland sounds incredible and I've really liked the sound of other Bart-equipped basses. Granted, Barts aren't the only reason my D55-94 sounds killer, but I certainly think that they play a very important role. If the VFL replacement Barts and/or preamp and/or adjustable midrange control add richer and more complex mids, a Bart-loaded Cirrus may very well be my SuperBass! :)

12. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey Danny,

When you say adjustable midrange control, do you mean sweepable mids? I've only played one 55-94 and it was very nice. So nice that I hope to own one in the future. Would you like your Cirrus to sound more like your Lakland?

I'm not challenging what you've said. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what you feel the Cirrus is lacking. I haven't been around very long so there are still a lot of excellent basses out there that I haven't been exposed to.

As I've already stated, I love mine. It's not a Lakland or one of the other great basses. It's a Cirrus and I think that it's an exceptional bass in it's own right. There are bound to be some people that feel it's not exactly what they're looking for in a bass. Nothing wrong with that at all.

That's exactly how I feel Ryan. The Cirrus has it's own little vibe and I also like it.

13. Mr Socko

Mr Socko Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2000
    I bought a new Redwood 6 a few years ago and loved the sound but decided I didn't want or need a 6 so I sold it. I have been using a Fender P and J since but have always wanted another Cirrus because I loved the way it played. Well I got a chance to pick up a used Walnut/Bubinga 5, so I did it. The problem I have now is that even though it plays great and sounds even across the strings unplugged, when I plug in, the B string just dosen't sound the same as the other strings. It sounds slightly weeker and has a completely different tonal character. Kind of a Plink, Plink, Plink, Plink, Muffled Thud. I have tried several different sets of strings, both B-G and E-C, I prefer using high C. I am begening to think it may be a pickup problem. I have been playing since 68 and do my own set up and fretwork, but this has me stumped. I am so frustrated that I am thinking of selling the bass after only having it three weeks. Any advise on this, and how different do the Barts sound in a Cirrus? I had Barts in a Thunderbass once and thought they sounded kind of bland. Maybe 30+ years of ear abuse has taken it's toll. I really enjoy the bass but only if I play it unplugged. When I plug in I get frustrated and want to chuck it. At first I thought it was something about the wood combination. Any advise would be helpful?

14. ItchyBass

ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Me again. Thanks Boston Charlie for the recognition of my intent on posting... Not to start an argument as to whether or not everyone likes or dislikes VLF's. I just wanted to give an option for those who don't.

I have been searching for "THE" tone forever now. I have owned 100 different amps, cabs, preamps, effects, guitars... everything. What has made it the most difficult is that my opinion of "THE" tone keeps changing almost as fast as my gear. The one thing that has remained constant however is my B-Quad. To me it has never sounded the way I have wanted it to, but has always played like butter - Plus, with the graphite neck I don't have to worry about readjusting the setup if I leave the thing in my cold car overnight after a late night gig. :)

Right now I want that raspy but smooth sousaphone sound. God only knows what I will want tomorrow… With the adjustable mids on the Bart preamp I got, and the natural barky tendency of the Bart pickups, I’ve got what I want today (this may have something to do with my new Mesa head and cab too – they even make my other EMG loaded guitar bark).

This would be so much easier if I were rich! You know, I might have been rich if I would have been able to find “My” tone 10 years ago, and had not spent all of my $$$ on gear! Damn…

15. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Man, I going to get you and Jeff about that "Boston Charlie" thing Scott! :D I take it that the upgrade went well for you?

16. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Has anyone found good replacement pickups for the Peavey Foundation?

I recently sold a great old fretless Foundation because I couldn't find pickups that would fit the non-standard (and really deep) routs on that bass. The Peavey pickups use large bezels as well.

-Shin

17. ItchyBass

ItchyBass

Oct 12, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Hey Shin,

If your pickups look like those on a Cirrus, for example:

http://www.peavey.com/products/amps_mi/bassguitars/cirrus4bubinga_pau.cfm

The Barts I started this post about will fit.

I had a Foundation as well... same pickup casing, different guts (I know I popped the foundation pickups into my B-Quad for a while to see what it would sound like passive. It sounded like crap! :D )

Just know that the pickups and wiring harness will cost about twice as much as a Foundation!

18. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    The B-Quad is not really a "Modulus with the Peavey name slapped on it" at all. It's a Peavey bass with a Modulus neck; big difference. I tried a B-Quad when I was shopping for a 4 string in about 1996. I loved the neck, but the body style was too wierd for my tastes and I found the EQ bewildering. The EQ and "Super-Ferrite" pickups on my old Dyna-Bass always sounded fine to me. I ended up much happier with the NOS Palaedium than the B-Quad (or anything else I tried) so that's what I bought.

19. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Those "Super Ferrite" pickups were pretty good by me as well. They're super quiet. I thought they were a little "honky" though, and I always wanted to replace them, but I couldn't find replacements. I could approximate, but could never nail, the classic J bass growl.

The Cirrus pickups look a bit different, but perhaps they would have worked. I wouldn't put super expensive pickups in a Foundation though.

So the MIM Fender Jazz fretless with Original '62s is the replacement for my blonde Foundation.

20. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've got a B-Quad, and I gutted the electronics and replaced them with an internal Aguilar. Much better, but the pickups are still a little odd sounding. It's almost like they have too little character. I hate to give up on this bass but I think my tastes in tone and playablity are changing (love the way Warwick Thumbs play, just don't dig the clanky sound). What to do, what to do...