1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

FYI Variax 705 is now $499!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jondog, Jan 20, 2007.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Just got one at MF. I don't need any more basses but this price is too good . . .

2. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

Wow. The 700's also. Let's see, they started at $1200, held at $1000 for a bit, and now they are $500...

Well, sounds like a discontinuation to me. Trying to see if they announced a new model at NAMM or something. For $500, these might be too hard to pass up.

3. zadillo

zadillo

Nov 20, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Hrmm, wow..... yeah, for $500 it seems like a pretty great deal. I wonder what the deal is; a discontinuation would make sense. People are still selling these things new on eBay for $1200-1300, and the cheapest I've seen used ones go is

Something odd though, it gives me a PREORDER button on the 4-string version, not an Add to Cart button (although availability says it is "in stock").

It seems like at $499 even with whatever quality problems these things might have it is kind of hard to pass up.

-Zadillo

4. The D

The D

Oct 13, 2006
    Wow Variax bass is now just 500 bucks??? Seems like it didnt sell too well so theyre lowering the price down.

5. zadillo

zadillo

Nov 20, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Possibly, or it could mean a new Variax Bass coming out. I think we've already seen this happen with the Variax guitars; as Line6 has introduced newer Variax guitars, the prices on the original Variax models got lower and lower and lower.

6. Kruton

Kruton

Aug 20, 2005
    Ocean Springs, MS
    Do yall think it's worth it?

7. zadillo

zadillo

Nov 20, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    I've never owned one, but from everything I've read about them, they can be pretty cool instruments. Nothing you'd necessarily want as your only or primary bass, but it seems like you do get an awful lot of tonal variety in one bass. Frankly, even if you ended up only liking a handful of models out of the 24 included, it seems like the $499 price is pretty hard to argue with. And of course if you did find a majority of the models to be useful (or at least fun to play around with), it's an absolute steal.

I think usually the knock on the Variax instruments has to do with their quality, etc. compared to a real bass, but again, for $499, I think I could put up with the risk of it having some problems.

-Zadillo

8. plar

plar

Jun 14, 2005
    It's weird that at a lot of other online stores haven't dropped their prices. Does anyone here own one? They sound great on the website.

9. Jeez, at that price I'm tempted to buy one and then drop in the electronics into a Warmoth kit or even into another of my existing basses. 500 dollars for an electronics kit like that isn't that bad, eh?

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire

best idea

I can see a few Variax/SX hybrids.

11. Aarix

Aarix

May 19, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I got excited for a minute. Then I realized I already have a Lakland 55-02 :)

12. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    The Variax 700 and 705 are discontinued when they are gone that is it. I just ordered A sunburst 705 should have it by tuesday or wednesday. Why don't they come with a case instead of a gig bag?

13. I was an earlier adopter of the Variax back when it was first rolled out. I took the 700 to my first semester at Berklee for recordings and it was pretty cool, but there was no way I could play that thing out. It was remarkably heavy, and without the D.I. the batteries would drain incredibly fast. In a band setting, about half of the modeled basses simply did not work and were rather muffled. I also found that the tracking was not what it could have been. I sold mine about 4 months in and got about 80% of my money back.

These are nice basses for recording, but do not expect to want to gig these things.

14. good new for you Americans...by the time one would reach Ireland
    it would be more expensive than what it is here now...about €1100

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

16. I play out with a 700 I bought off eBay for 500 bucks. Coupled with the PodXTL it makes a great gig instrument, I love it.

I just ordered a 5 String, as I went from an SR5 to the 700, and now I get to enjoy the Variax as a 5 string too!

At 500 bucks it took me all of 2 seconds to take the plunge. I've wanted one of these in a 5 string ever since I got the 4 string.

No bass is for everyone, try it and see if you dig it, I sure do.

17. they had a 700 here in Central Queensland (Green Bro's - Rockhampton)

same thing...started out at $3K and when I was last there is was down to around $700...

they had a rude old salesman there...when I commented on the great price, he didn't even look at me...he just continued doing what he was doing (nothing) with a frown on his face..

oh well...no sale...not MY loss...

I did try that bass out on a previous visit...I loved the P-bass and jazz bass sounds...didn't like any of the other sounds...
    hated the price...thought the bass weighed WAY too much...and I question it's reliability in a gig situation.

18. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    This is tempting, VERY tempting, but it feels like there will be a Variax 800 or something in a few months that takes the shine away.

So I think I'm gonna pass - unless of course it hits $350 at which point I am completely all over it.

19. zadillo

zadillo

Nov 20, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
    Makes me wonder what this will do for the market for used Variax basses....... checking eBay, they're still going for well above $499, but it seems like anyone trying to sell a used Variax is going to have to come in under $499, or else someone would just as soon buy a new one.

20. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    I think that Variax basses, while awesome instruments, are doomed to follow the path of other computerized appliances as far as resale value is concerned. No matter how cool they are today, if they catch on it's almost a guarantee that something considerably cooler will be available in 1-2 years.

Keep in mind that two years ago I blew $150 on a card to make my 2004 keyboard emulate a 1983 Yamaha DX-7, so you never know.