1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

G-3 on the 'bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StringsOf4, Dec 30, 2006.

1. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    I've been gassing for a Gibson G-3 for quite awhile, I've never actually played one, but they look and sound awesome from what I've heard at Starting Line shows. There's a sunburst one on eBay and it looks to be in perfect condition, guy said it wasn't played too much cuz he plays that whiny thing they call a guitar. I've already bid and been outbid a few times and its not up til Jan. 9, and judging by the others that have been on there, it'll probably surpass $800, but if it stays in range should I go for it? I'm willing to spend $550 on it, but again, I doubt it'll stay that low. What I'm really asking is, is it ok to buy bass based on only what I've heard at a show? Because its not like I can waltz into any music store and try one, they aren't too plentiful. What do you think?

2. I've bought basses I was unable to play, most recently yamaha trb6-ii (my favorite bass i've ever owned). You may love it, you may not, sometimes its a coin toss, but you can always sell a used instrument if it doesn't fit your style. If you buy it used, you can sell it for around what you payed for it if you don't like it. I say go ahead and try it.

3. TNF

TNF

Oct 7, 2006
    Dallas Tx
    buy some other albums from bass players that you know used them. If you like the tones, buy it! I know I've always wanted one of those. I've played a few and passed on them for one reason or another, but I always found that they spoke to me for some reason.

Good luck...

4. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I doubt you will learn too much more without buying it. If it doesn't suit you, they usually bring a pretty good turnover price on the 'bay.

5. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Thanks guys, unfortunately I think it went out of my price range in the first night, but do you know if Mike Dirnt actually used his G-3 (yes, it was a 3 not a sliding pup grabber) on the Green day recordings? Because that tone on Dookie was killer!